Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Glock 43 w/ Shooting Results

My 43 has had a malfunction today that I have never seen before, a vertical stovepipe of a live round. Last round in a magazine with +1 TTI extension. That's a second mag body and spring that I've run that extension with so I am done with it. Other than that, shot great with OEM mags and modified +2 TTI extension that is now +1 on account of an extra power mag spring.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My 43 has had a malfunction today that I have never seen before, a vertical stovepipe of a live round. Last round in a magazine with +1 TTI extension. That's a second mag body and spring that I've run that extension with so I am done with it. Other than that, shot great with OEM mags and modified +2 TTI extension that is now +1 on account of an extra power mag spring.
    I only have a few hundred rounds through a TTI +1 and +2 so I'm still in the testing phase. No problems yet, but things like this make me wonder if it's really worth the ammo increase.

I seem to be an outlier here in that most people have not had problems with +1 TTI. It should be worth mentioning that I've had zero problems shooting practice ammo with it, which for last few months has been an underpowered 115 gr Freedom Munitions load. All stoppages that I had were with various regular pressure carry loads such as GD, HST or Ranger, 124 or 147 gr. So I am not sure if I got unlucky or people don't shoot carry ammo that much.

I'm getting the picture that the G43 isn't happy with +P ammo, and the TTI mag extensions are hit or miss. I'm forming this opinion from what I'm seeing on "forum reports", here and elsewhere. The only malf I have experienced is the one I detailed earlier, and in truth have not shot the gun since.

I'm about to go shoot it again in a few minutes. Like LSP552, mine only has ~500 rounds through it, so no real conclusions can be drawn yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I'm getting the picture that the G43 isn't happy with +P ammo, and the TTI mag extensions are hit or miss. I'm forming this opinion from what I'm seeing on "forum reports", here and elsewhere. The only malf I have experienced is the one I detailed earlier, and in truth have not shot the gun since.

I'm about to go shoot it again in a few minutes. Like LSP552, mine only has ~500 rounds through it, so no real conclusions can be drawn yet.

Steve, for what it's worth my 43 has had 100 rounds of 124+P Gold Dot without issue using the stock mags/no TTI base pad. It is a bit snappy/squirmy compared to some 147 Golden Saber I had lying around. If and when I start actually carrying this thing, I'm pretty sure it will be with a non +P loading, as much for handling as anything else. I'm done fooling with the +2 TTI until I pick up some extra powered springs, just too weak for my comfort level, even though they have worked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Steve, for what it's worth my 43 has had 100 rounds of 124+P Gold Dot without issue using the stock mags/no TTI base pad. It is a bit snappy/squirmy compared to some 147 Golden Saber I had lying around. If and when I start actually carrying this thing, I'm pretty sure it will be with a non +P loading, as much for handling as anything else. I'm done fooling with the +2 TTI until I pick up some extra powered springs, just too weak for my comfort level, even though they have worked so far.
    300 of my 2,556 are +P and have been GTG in stock mags. With the exception of the TAC-XPs "squirmy" is a good descriptor.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

My two G43s each have only about 100 rds of carry ammo (GD 124 +P), but a lot of Win. NATO ball on that, with no issues at all. It makes sense that if spring tension is weakened by an aftermarket + floorplate, the slide velocity of warmer carry ammo could outrun the spring and cause malfunctions. I won't mess with them until Glock themselves come out with something.

I was a big 1911 shooter for a long time and these problems with this little single stack with hot ammo and/or a +1 or 2 mag extension is going back to the dark ages of hand gunning. I guess all lessons learned will eventually be lessons lost.

Get the strongest mag spring you can get and to Hell with the capacity.

My wife and I are running non +P 124 Gold Dot and OEM magazines, and so far no troubles with two 43 pistols. I have shot 124+P Gold Dot and Taran +1 base plates without issue, but I feel like non +P ammo and OEM magazines are likely closest to the center of the reliability envelope.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm still very impressed with this gun. I only have about 300 rounds through it. I've been having too much fun with my S&W 986 9mm. I did find that the pointy little trigger was irritating my trigger finger (recoil related) and started shooting it like a revolver, with the trigger in my first finger groove. Much more comfortable for me to shoot and still very accurate, though I do need to upgrade the sights to Trijicon HDs.
    Last edited by Tom Duffy; 11-23-2015 at 12:00 AM.

User Tag List