Thread: Review: Glock 43 w/ Shooting Results

Review: Glock 43 w/ Shooting Results

Manufacturer: Glock
    Model: 43
    Serial Number: ZGX###
    Test Fire Date: 04/14/2015

On the web: http://singlestack9.com/

Source

This G43 was obtained from a Glock LE distributor at LE pricing of ~$358.00, paid by me.

Unboxing

The Glock 43 ships in the same hard plastic Glock branded box like others. Included in the case are the gun itself, two magazines, promotional and safety literature, a trigger lock, and fired casing(s). Its diminutive size is its greatest distinction from the rest of the line and there is little else noteworthy about it externally. Unloaded, the G43 with empty magazine inserted weighs ~18oz.

The upper is detail stripped in the same manner as other Glocks. The serrations on the slide are shallower and have less bite when grasping than the larger guns. The RSA is the same type of captive dual spring assembly found on other gen4 Glocks. The sights are a downsized version of the plastic ball-and-bucket type most Glocks ship with. The rear sight is 6.1mm in height, and the front is the standard OEM front. The firing pin safety and corresponding machining in the slide is unique to the G42 and G43. The balance of the slide internals are mostly just reductions of larger Glocks.

Detail stripping of the G43 lower is similar to other Glocks, and identical to the G42. There is only the single trigger pin (“first pin”) to remove above the trigger, along with the trigger mechanism housing pin at the rear. The locking block must be removed to remove the slide stop lever. The slide stop lever has a captured coil spring attached to it. The slide lock lever receives its tension from a coil spring beneath it, rather than the leaf spring of the larger Glocks. The trigger spring is a combination of a captured coil spring and leaf bar on top. It attaches to the interior of the trigger mechanism housing. Disassembly of the trigger mechanism housing is unique to the G42 and G43. The grip texture of the lower receiver is the same raised polygonal surface as found on other gen4 models, but less pronounced. It’s not particularly grabby, but there is some slip resistance. The trigger face is serrated on the G43, unlike the smooth face of the G42.

The magazine catch is the standard gen4 size and type, and is fully reversible.

The slide stop lever, slide lock lever, and firing pin safety share the same coil spring.

Two magazines are included, one with a flush fit base plate and the other with pinky extension. Both magazines have six round capacity. The witness holes are correct to the number remaining. The spring has 11 coils.

Comparisons

The most frequent comparison for the G43 is to the G26. They are nearly identical in overall height and length. The width of grip and slide is more obvious. It is readily apparent on view, and even more-so in the hand.

In all other physical attributes, the G43 is simply another Glock.

Dry Handling

Trigger pull is typical Glock and this sample feels to be about ~6-7 pounds. It is heavier than several larger Glocks on hand but lighter than a comparison G42. Over-travel is typical of other Glocks. Trigger reset was distinct and audible. Grip issues that I had with the G42 are less prevalent with the G43 but still noted. My strong hand middle finger makes contact with the bottom of the magazine release and my thumbs rest along the side of the slide. The meat of my hands interfere with ejecting and inserting magazines unless I reposition my grip. Reloads can be slow, and painful.

The G43 is flat and conceals well. As a pocket gun it is tall though, and may be too much so to draw from many pants in a firing grip. It draws easily from various vest, purse, and shoulder bag sleeves. The gun disappears in OWB carry and there is a feel of having more holster than gun. When IWB, it feels buried. It carries light and easily on the ankle in many cuts of pants. Regardless of carry location, getting a firing grip on the gun when holstered can be challenging and will take some adjustment.

Shooting

Live fire testing is underway with a wide assortment of ammunition. Comprehensive results will be added soon.

Should you have any requests for particular photos, data, or other information please feel free to post them within the thread and I will attempt to accommodate them.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

UPDATE

Having had the gun in hand for two weeks, I have the following to share.

Range sessions: 6
    Number of shooters: 10. 2 female, 8 male. Youngest 12, oldest 60+. 3 current LEOs, 2 LE retirees, 5 citizens.
    Cumulative round count: 1,230
    Most rounds per session: 507
    Fewest rounds per session: 12
    Malfunctions – Gun: 0
    Malfunctions – User/Ammo: 4*. 1 failure to eject, 3 light strikes. See discussion below.

Ammunition used (24):

50rds Black Hills Ammunition 115gr FMJ (BHA brass)
    50rds Black Hills Ammunition 115gr GDHP +P (Starline brass)
    30rds Black Hills Ammunition 115gr TAC-XP +P (Win brass)
    100rds Black Hills Ammunition 115gr TAC-XP +P (BHA brass)
    60rds Black Hills Ammunition 124gr JHP-XTP +P (BHA brass)

26rds Federal 100gr RHT lead free frangible
    50rds Federal 115 FMJ (aluminum case)
    50rds Federal Champion 115gr FMJ
    50rds Federal 124gr Hydra-Shok
    *100rds Federal 147gr JHP
    50rds Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok
    50rds Speer Lawman 147 TMJ
    50rds American Eagle 115 FMJ
    50rds American Eagle 147 FMJ
    50rds American Eagle 124gr FMJ

50rds Corbon 115gr FMJ (Starline brass)
    40rds Corbon 100gr +P Pow’RBall

62rds PMC Bronze 115 FMJ
    50rds Freedom Munitions 115 FMJ
    50rds Herters-Tula 115 FMJ (steel case)
    50rds Winchester Mk254 Mod 0 Frangible
    46rds Remington 100gr Disintegrator lead free frangible
    *16rds International Cartridge Company 100gr lead free frangible
    50rds Fiocchi 115gr FMJ

Stoppages and Malfunctions

There were four total. The first three occurred with a ~20yo female novice shooter using Federal 147gr JHP (9MS), and were light off-center strikes. It appeared that she had been riding the slide while shooting, causing it to be slightly out of battery. During a second session with the same shooter and ammo, it did not reoccur.

The second was a stovepipe/failure to eject in the hands of a LEO using the International Cartridge Company lead free frangible. This malfunction was not unexpected, given this load’s similar problems and poor inconsistent performance in other 9mm service pistols.

Subcompact Comparisons

Over time I’ve accumulated a body of data comparing my performance on various subcompact 9mm pistols. After reflecting on all those numbers, I think two particular exercises best exemplify the design purpose and likely use of these guns. They are intended to be carried easily, drawn quickly, fire several rounds to a vital area, and possibly be reloaded for another volley. Therefore, I liked D5s and F.A.S.T. drills.

D5 from concealment to USPSA A-Zone, 3 / 5 / 7 / 10yds
    Glock 43: 2.32 C / 2.42 C / 2.91 C / 3.45 C
    Glock 26: 2.24 C / 2.51 C / 2.88 -2 / 3.48 -2
    Shield(1): 2.59 C / 2.72 C / 3.50 C / 3.72 C
    Shield(2): 2.48 C / 2.65 C / 2.98 C / 3.83 -1
    Sig P290: 2.82 -1 / 3.10 C / 4.16 -2 / 4.62 -1
    SAI XDs: 2.81 C / 2.94 -1 / 3.30 -1 / 3.76 C
    SR LC9: 3.73 C / 3.61 C / 3.84 C / 4.14 -1
    Kahr PM9: 2.80 C / 3.63 C / 3.23 -1 / 3.61 -1
    Kahr Mk9: 3.63 C / 3.30 -1 / 3.54 C / 4.00 -1
    S&W 642: 3.32 C / 3.62 C / 4.58 C / 5.31 -1

F.A.S.T.
    Glock 43: 7.09 C, 10.12 T, 9.61 T
    Glock 26: 6.40 C, 6.50 C, 6.83 C
    Shield(1): 9.24 T, 7.08 C, 7.07 C
    Shield(2): 8.82 C, 7.4 C, 7.16 C
    Sig P290: 11.29, 10.89, 10.31
    Kahr PM9: 10.58, 12.64, 13.1
    Kahr Mk9: 10.25, 11.8, 12.58

Maintenance Notes

The gun was cleaned and lubed and the start, and periodically thereafter for consistency with other subcompact tests. Slip CLP or EWL was applied to the connector and two slide rails only.

Magazine baseplates and the locking block pin required deliberate effort to remove when new, but far less at this update. The locking block pin is no more difficult to remove than any other Glocks now. Magazines disassemble easily.

Minor finish wear on the barrel hood is apparent, and seems normal.

There is some slight smoothing of the trigger with additional shooting, though the break remains stiff.

Carry Notes

Due to the lack of G43 carry gear, an assortment for other similar guns was adapted. The gun is thin and carries easily OWB, IWB, on the ankle, on body armor, in a cargo pant side pocket, or in a front pocket. Off-body the gun also disappears and added weight to bags is negligible. Off the shelf holsters for the P239, XDs, and Shield have some compatibility to the G43 for my purposes at this point, but are not suitable for serious EDC use.

Though thin, the gun is as tall as a G26 and several others, especially when the baseplate with the finger rest is used. For pocket carriers, the size of the opening and the shooter’s hands will be critical. I found even large pockets incompatible with the G43 in my large hand unless I broke my grip significantly.

The pliable plastic OEM sport-combat holster sized for the G43 would be a terrific offering for several types of CCWers.

Shooting Notes

The G43 has stouter recoil with more rise, blast, and twist than its larger siblings. The reduction in grip surface area is obvious in the hand and especially when trying to run the gun at speed. Though more apparent than larger Glocks (inc the G26) recoil is still quite agreeable to all those who tried it.

A single stack magazine makes the grip smaller, and with it the magazine well. Reloads are easy to fumble and miss. Reloads required a significant break in my grip else the well be blocked altogether or hands and fingers be painfully pinched.

The trigger is typical Glock though a bit heavier. I found it to feel halfway between a gun equipped with a standard coil spring and connector, and a NY1. The break is quite a bit stiffer on the 43 than other models. That break was the most frequently noted attribute after its small size. Regular Glock shooters were the most negative about it, while shooters of long DA triggers were indifferent or quick to move past it.

The G43 shot to POA with all loads tried. I was able to stay within the 3” circle at 10yds with relative ease. Bullseye work at distance was more challenging as I struggled more with the trigger. A 25yd, 10-shot score on a B8 bullseye was ~70-0X. The same exercise with the G26 was 94-2X. The G43 is unforgiving of trigger press issues.

It shot well in a number of other structured exercises. I shot high passing scores on several LE quals, the Farnam basic test, Claude Werner’s 5^5, and the Hackathorn self-defense practice drill. F.A.S.T.s were poor as were the Vickers 6-6-6 drill due to reloading bobbles.

I inadvertently activated the magazine release during several 5-6 round strings. This occurred only with the finger rest magazine, presumably due to a grip shift facilitated by it. It did not occur with the flush fit magazine nor with other shooters.

I dislike finger rests on magazines in general except for their added length and grasping surface in magazine pouches. I had considered taking the dremel to these plates, but will wait for replacement mags instead.

For a time, I reversed the magazine release and used it in that position for support hand work. It was fully functional.

Ejection was generally brisk and relatively uniform. Light loads in the hands of youth and lady shooters were less so. Lightly loaded 115gr practice loads like the Federal 115 FMJ (CAL9115) occasionally ejected in different directions. This has also been seen with some of those loads in other systems as well, and is not a concern unless a stoppage occurs.

An extended 8-10rd OEM magazine would be handy.

Summary

This G43 has thus far demonstrated reliability across a broad range of loads and shooters.

Differences between the G43 and G26 are greater in the hand than on paper but depend on the task. The G26 is closer to service auto performance for me.

My most likely use for this G43 is as a loaner, test bed, and occasional BUG. In the rare event I need a gun smaller than the G17/19, the G26 meets my needs. For others, the compact size and functionality will make this a popular CCW and BUG option.

Any quirks or downsides of the G43 are likely to be beyond the interests or ability of the overwhelming majority of shooters who will buy this gun.
    Last edited by ST911; 05-10-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Thanks for the write up, your reports are well done.

What an excellent write up! Thanks!

Thanks for the review!

Excellent review. Thank you!

Excellent.

Did you keep track of your reload times with the 43 -- didn't see them listed. I haven't reloaded on the clock yet, and wonder how much slower the 43 will be to a 26 with a 19 sized mag.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Excellent write up!

Excellent work, as always. I found my own experience regarding accurate shooting at distance with the G43 mirrors your observations. Not sure if a Ghost connector is in order or not, more to follow.

Site Supporter
    Thanks! Very timely and very much appreciated.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List