Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Wilderness Cartridge for .357 Ruger New Model Blackhawk Query

Good Wilderness Cartridge for .357 Ruger New Model Blackhawk Query

Gents and Ladies-I just stumbled into a nearly mint 1979-vintage stainless steel New Model Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel; I believe the gun was literally fired a cylinderful, and then carried somewhat, but never fired again.

I've cleaned and lubed it, and test-fired and zeroed; it's my intention to settle if practicable on 158 gr bullets in full-house .357 magnum cartridges for practice/fun and wilderness carry. Likely critters needing potential defense from would be 2-legged, cougar and black bear-Suggestions appreciated, as before!

Best, Jon

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm not sure how fun it would be, but I can't imagine a bear or cougar shrugging it off:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100

Do you reload by any chance? 9.7gr of Accurate #7 under a 158gr hard cast SWC is enough to give that magnum "thump" without being too much to put a few hundred through it on a range outing, burns clean, and is plenty accurate.

I have no doubt you can kill a bear with a .357, but relying on one to instantly stop a bear is another matter. In a revolver, the minimum I would consider for bears is a .44, shooting heavy for caliber slugs.

Cougars and meth heads, I would be fine with the a .357.

Look into Garrett as well...Hard Cast will be your friend where penetration is needed.

Take a look at Hornady's XTP loads.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The only instant drop of a bear is CNS shot and there are 357 loads to handle that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Take a look at Hornady's XTP loads.
    Yep-I paid attention to your recommendations in the previous .45 ACP wilderness carry thread-I've got some Hornaday 158gr XTP (#90562) @ 1,250 muzzle fps/548 muzzle energy as my initial carry selection...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Look into Garrett as well...Hard Cast will be your friend where penetration is needed.
    I don't see any .357 magnum loadings on Garrett's site-just .44 magnum and 45-70...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I don't see any .357 magnum loadings on Garrett's site-just .44 magnum and 45-70...

Best, Jon
    Unless a very new development, Garrett historically only has .45-70 and .44 magnum loads. If I was looking for a good performing hard cast load, made by a major manufacturer, I would go with the Federal 180 grain cast core load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Yep-I paid attention to your recommendations in the previous .45 ACP wilderness carry thread-I've got some Hornaday 158gr XTP (#90562) @ 1,250 muzzle fps/548 muzzle energy as my initial carry selection...

Best, Jon
    I think this is a good overall choice, although I'd load the same bullet over 16gr of H110 which should be a couple hundred fps faster.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List