Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire Routine

Another thing I noticed... Going slow, without "doing the robot" through the draw count is not easy.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There are a variety of different ways people teach shooting from retention. But essentially, they are shooting positions for contact and near-contact distance shooting.
    Todd,

Sorry for digging up an old thread but this n00b needs further clarification.

Could you give an example of firing "from retention"? Is that just a way of saying "shooting from a holster with an active retention mechanism like a thumb break or, for example, Safariland's ALS"? I'm still not clear on the concept, in spite of your quoted explanation. Like I said, totall n00b so forgive my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Another thing I noticed... Going slow, without "doing the robot" through the draw count is not easy.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto
    Domo....DOMO!!!!

Domo....DOMO!!!!

(This is going to be looping in my head all f'ing day)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Could you give an example of firing "from retention"? Is that just a way of saying "shooting from a holster with an active retention mechanism like a thumb break or, for example, Safariland's ALS"? I'm still not clear on the concept, in spite of your quoted explanation. Like I said, totall n00b so forgive my ignorance.
    No worries. The confusion is understandable because "retention" is a double use term in this industry.

"Shooting from retention" in this context means shooting from a body position that anticipates a nearby threat having the ability to grab your gun and take it from you if you stand in a normal extended stance. As mentioned previously there are a variety of different techniques taught by different instructors, but the gist is that you keep the gun closer to your body while making sure you don't accidentally shoot yourself.

"Shooting from retention" in this context means shooting from a body position that anticipates a nearby threat having the ability to grab your gun and take it from you if you stand in a normal extended stance.
    Thanks Todd So essentially you're shooting from a position where you aren't using your sights. How do you practice accuracy with this? Is shooting from retention permitted at NRA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    So essentially you're shooting from a position where you aren't using your sights.
    Correct.

How do you practice accuracy with this?
    By habit, muscle memory, body index, etc. depending on who's teaching.

Is shooting from retention permitted at NRA?
    No.

No.
    Figgered'.

So where's a good outdoor range in this neck of the woods?

Todd, on the "5 reps of Wall Drill from the holster, WHO." How do you grip the gun coming out of the holster? Are you gripping it upside down and flipping it after its out of the holster or what? I'm using a IWB at 4:00. It about kills my weak hand shoulder to get a correct grip on the gun.

EDIT: Just noticed I can swing my arm behind me and draw from the rear.

What does the acronym stand for?

Sorry for the ignorant, but what does the acronym stand for?

2H, SHO ,WHO, TRB, LRW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1976 View Post
    Sorry for the ignorant, but what does the acronym stand for?

2H, SHO ,WHO, TRB, LRW

Thanks
    In order:

2-handed

Strong Hand only

Week Hand Only

Tap Rack Bang (a malfunction clearing technique. TAP the magazine. RACK the slide. BANG/pull the trigger)

Lock Rip Work (a malfunction clearing technique for more stubborn malfunctions. LOCK the slide back. RIP the magazine out. WORK the action)

User Tag List