Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire Routine

We are diminished
    John -- I prefer to use a reasonably small target because I'm not going fast. If I'm not moving at maximum speed, I should be able to have a pretty good sight picture and trigger press. But the target isn't as big a deal as reading the sights.

I keep it interesting by keeping it short.

- about 3 min of draw, press out, and trigger. Reset the gun and then do a follow up trigger press. (I do this a 1/2 speed concentrating on forum and correctness)
    - about 3 min of reloads
    - about 3 min of full speed draws

The most important thing is I give my self verbal reinforcement by saying... "Im a super secret ninja! You can't touch my ninja skills!"

Thanks for the dry fire routine. Will definitely help break up the monotony involved and gets me thinking about other types of practice I need to incorporate.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I've been getting a lot of requests lately for dry fire routine help, which is odd because I'm not exactly the most diligent dry-firer out there. But I did put a month long routine together for a buddy a while back and recently posted it to my site: pistol-training.com Dry Fire Routine.

The idea is pretty straightforward. People often burn out on dry fire because, let's face it, dry fire is boring. So we have a number of goals:

• Keep it interesting.
    • Focus on the important skills.
    • Get in at least a few reps each month of the less common techniques to maintain proficiency.
    Holy smoke! It's just dawned on me that I haven't done any dry-fire practice for at least 3 months!

I've got some work to do.....and will be the better for it.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    The most important thing is I give my self verbal reinforcement by saying... "Im a super secret ninja! You can't touch my ninja skills!"
    Awesome line! My fiance gave me that "what is wrong with you" look for randomly laughing so much.

I don't view dry fire as boring. I get to go to the range every day.

This session will take 10-15 minutes. Avoid becoming fatigued and ingraining bad habits.

Dry fire practice can be extremely dangerous if proper safety procedures are not followed.
    Always observe the Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling

Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling
    • All guns are always loaded
    • Never point a gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy
    • Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire
    • Know your target and what is beyond it

Dry Fire Safety Procedures
    • Dry fire ONLY when you are alert and focused
    • Unload your pistol in an area other than the practice area - do not take any ammunition with you to the practice area
    • Go to your practice area where there is NO LIVE AMMUNITION
    • Check your pistol again to ensure that there is no ammunition in the pistol or any magazines you will use for practice
    • Dry fire practice only on a specific dry fire target which is used only for dry fire practice. Do NOT dry fire at TVs, light switches, or other such general targets; doing so is a dangerous practice that can lead to damage, injury, or death of someone else.
    • Place your dry fire target against a bullet resistant wall, e.g., brick or concrete block
    • If a bullet resistant wall is not available the target should be backed by a body armor panel capable of containing a bullet from your pistol
    • Do not allow yourself to be disturbed during dry fire practice
    • Wear eye protection when dry firing in case of a Negligent Discharge
    • If you use dummy ammunition during dry fire, use ONLY commercially manufactured, easily identifiable dummies. Homemade dummies are unsafe and can result in death or serious injury.
    • When you are finished practicing, put your target and pistol away immediately and do some other action that will remove dry fire from your thoughts. Do NOT immediately reload your pistol.
    • Failure to follow these procedures EXACTLY can result in legal liability, property damage, serious injury, or DEATH.

Basic Dry Fire Practice Session -
    • Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
    • Presentation from Low Ready - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
    • Draw from Open Holster - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
    • Draw from Concealed Holster - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.
    • Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Strong Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
    • Draw from Open Holster - Strong Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
    • Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Weak Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
    • Presentation from Low Ready - Weak Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
    • Draw from Concealed Holster - Strong Hand Only, 5 repetitions.
    • Trigger Press Practice on the spot - Freestyle, 5 repetitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtR80Knmug

Site Supporter
    Todd,

Thanks for the drill. This will be very helpful.

I gave the basic routine a go today. My plan is to do Friday's routine, then start week 1 over again, and then continue through the rest.

Anyhow, here are some of my observations from today:
    - My weak hand only has gone downhill from what it was. My weak arm and hand were shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, instead of shaking like leaf in a thunderstorm.
    - When doing the weak (left) hand parts, I would sling shot the slide with my right hand. Where as with 2H and SHO, I would rack the slide from over the top with my left hand. I'm not sure if doing it two different ways is really all that a "bad thing" or not since I'm consistent.
    - For the press-out part, I tried to keep the pistol closer to my chin than I have in the past. I can really "see" why this is a better way for acquiring the sights faster on a press-out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    I don't view dry fire as boring. I get to go to the range every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtR80Knmug

I must ask this and I hope this is not offensive, but after watching your video you look very siilar to the guy that has the dry fire cd and videos sold in conjunction with Rogers Shooting School are you the same person?

Disclaimer:

I have those videos on my main computer but the video card died and I cannot go back and watch them for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    I must ask this and I hope this is not offensive, but after watching your video you look very siilar to the guy that has the dry fire cd and videos sold in conjunction with Rogers Shooting School are you the same person?
    I have a question relating to the Youtube video that was posted. Is there a reason when practicing reloads from slide lock that the gentleman in the video is only using the blue training mag for insertion and then swapping it back to his carrier? Is it due to weight of the blue mag being similar to a fully loaded magazine? I don't have any blue mags and just use empties for practice.

User Tag List