Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire Routine

We are diminished

Dry Fire Routine

I've been getting a lot of requests lately for dry fire routine help, which is odd because I'm not exactly the most diligent dry-firer out there. But I did put a month long routine together for a buddy a while back and recently posted it to my site: pistol-training.com Dry Fire Routine.

The idea is pretty straightforward. People often burn out on dry fire because, let's face it, dry fire is boring. So we have a number of goals:

• Keep it interesting.
    • Focus on the important skills.
    • Get in at least a few reps each month of the less common techniques to maintain proficiency.

That beats my routine.

Using a J-frame in strong hand, with a coin on the front sight, press out to extension w/both hands and fire till the coin falls off, then reload with snap caps, and back to full extension for 10 reps;

Strong hand only, weapon at extension, coin on sight, dry fire till coin falls off, then replace & repeat. This I do for time (about 5 min), or till I get 5 shots in a row not dropping the coin. (Um...we're more doing it for time these days...) When the coin falls off, execute reload with snap caps and bring back to firing position.

Repeat the above for weak hand, except I'm happy with 2 shots without the coin falling WHO.

Todd,

Thanks for this thread! I'm a Firearms Instructor for the U.S. Border Patrol and from time to time I've had agents come to me for advice concerning dry fire practice. At times we've faced fluctuations in the amount of ammo that we can issue to the agents so in order to keep the agents interested I've recommended this site.

RJ

LRW

Excuse my ignorance. What LRW stand for?

LRW I am guessing means Lock Rip Work.

Lock the slide back, rip the mag out, work the slide.

We are diminished
    Correct. Just a shorthand for "clear an out-of-battery stoppage," really.

Good stuff Todd! This is the perfect motivation to get back into a dry-fire routine.

I made up one a while back that had a mix of 2H, SHO, WHO, Mirror-Image, etc. that I was doing ever other day. Then real life came along and I got completely off my schedule. Ooops!

If all goes well, I'll be able to give this a go for September.

thanks for the write up. ill admit ive been slacking on dry fire practice, mainly because its boring resetting the trigger. a SIRT pistol may be a good investment i think.

Todd - I presume that any of the drills that don't specifically reference "Wall Drill" use a specific aim point/target. Am I correct and, if so, do you have a recommendation on what that specific target should look like? To scale IDPA target? Small black dot? Coke can sized circle drawn w/ magic marker? Or whatever?

Thanks!
    Last edited by John Taylor; 08-25-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Todd - I presume that any of the drills that don't specifically reference "Wall Drill" use a specific aim point/target. Am I correct and, if so, do you have a recommendation on what that specific target should look like? To scale IDPA target? Small black dot? Coke can sized circle drawn w/ magic marker? Or whatever?

Thanks!
    http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill

User Tag List