Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My EDC G19

Quote Originally Posted by Gviz View Post
    Id like to add a WC match barrel and a Skimmer trigger, but it seems like the reviews are mixed. Should I ditch the idea and just keep practicing as is? I shot my old XD's more accurately than this gun but have since gotten rid of them. I feel like Glocks are definitely capable of being accurate, but less forgiving if your fundamentals are off.
    Just my two cents... it can be SO tempting to spend money on gear that may slightly improve your shooting. I went down a rabbit hole with customized CZs a few years ago that offered slight improvements to my shooting but in the end I realized that there is no substitute for putting in the time working on fundamentals and training. You really can't buy skill!

I decided to go back to basics. I sold the CZs and picked up a VP9 (I've struggled too much with Glock ergos to go that route), put some good sights on it and now I am focusing on an aggressive dry fire regimen with range visits once or twice a month as I am able. So far it has REALLY paid dividends...
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That's a sweet G19. I've had good luck with Wilson barrels, but I'd do a lot of other things to a G19 before I'd upgrade the barrel. I've got an unhealthy obsession with Glock accuracy and I've posted extensively on it. A search will help you find those threads.

You probably couldn't find a better place to train and compete than North Carolina. SOCOM is at Ft. Bragg and tons of retired SF and Delta guys live in the area.

How big are your 25-yard groups?

Okie John
    Thank you! Yea I do need to continue to seek out training.. my focus lately has been preparing for grad school so it has shifted to the backburner for a bit. Id say that last time I shot 25 yds my groups werent that great.. maybe 12" spread. That was before the RMR. I know that is mostly trigger control and I am continuing to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Just my two cents... it can be SO tempting to spend money on gear that may slightly improve your shooting. I went down a rabbit hole with customized CZs a few years ago that offered slight improvements to my shooting but in the end I realized that there is no substitute for putting in the time working on fundamentals and training. You really can't buy skill!

I decided to go back to basics. I sold the CZs and picked up a VP9 (I've struggled too much with Glock ergos to go that route), put some good sights on it and now I am focusing on an aggressive dry fire regimen with range visits once or twice a month as I am able. So far it has REALLY paid dividends...
    Thanks for the advice.. I am tempted to do the same but I think what seems to be the real answer is just practice practice. So Ill continue to work on these drills Ive found on this forum.

Thank you! Yea I do need to continue to seek out training.. my focus lately has been preparing for grad school so it has shifted to the backburner for a bit. Id say that last time I shot 25 yds my groups werent that great.. maybe 12" spread. That was before the RMR. I know that is mostly trigger control and I am continuing to work on that.
    You're a long way from needing a match barrel. 12" at 25 yards is better than a lot of folks can do, but you can do a LOT better with a OEM barrel.

I've made some good posts on the mechanical aspects of accuracy, but that's not your problem now. You need to work on trigger control and grip. Go back and find Surf's posts on grip and the relationship of the hands to one another, then go watch a bunch of his videos. The man knows that of which he speaks.

Okie John

Thanks man I will definitely looks those up.

What are those four dark bands on your holster, and what purpose do they serve?

This is a 5 shot group at 50 yards with a stock Glock barrel (gen3 G26). The only benefit I've seen for aftermarket barrels is if you want to shoot lead reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

It looks like the RATS tourniquet to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

That is a RATS tourniquet.

I agree with the earlier post that the Skimmer trigger is a bad idea (period) but especially in an EDC defensive pistol. I don't care what Travis Haley or the guy at Glocktriggers.com says. That trigger compromises all three of the built in Glock safeties.

Three safeties, all are adversely affected when using the Skimmer trigger.

a) The trigger bar vertical extension is already depressing the firing pin safety. (Even more problematic if you're running a reduced power firing pin safety spring).
    b) The trigger safety has been modified to allow the barest of engagement with the frame. Removing the "L" (beefy) part of the trigger safety.
    c) Taking out the pre-travel of the trigger, it places the cruciform at the very edge of the trigger housing "shelf" that IS the drop safety.

FWIW

User Tag List