Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you do your emergency/slide lock reloads?

How do you do your emergency/slide lock reloads?

As a police officer I've always been trained to do the "workspace" reload: gun is angled/pointed at approximately 10 or 11 oclock, slightly in front of your head with palm facing in towards your face. I recently started IDPA and the ROs don't like the muzzle breaking 90 degrees/barrel higher than parallel to the ground, so now I'm having to retrain years of muscle memory for the game. Now I bring the gun in close and simply tilt it slightly, keeping the barrel parallel to the ground.

What's the general consesnus for emergency reload procedures?

How do you do your emergency/slide lock reloads?

Similar workspace reload. I wouldn't retrain myself to satisfy some Fuddy Duddy RO, though, especially if it might cause you to flub a reload when it really counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My reload is like the one you were trained to use. I find that it allows for a better view of what's happening down range as compared to the other technique you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Similar workspace reload. I wouldn't retrain myself to satisfy some Fuddy Duddy RO, though.

That's the problem, though... I wanna play the game! Do you think this is just specific to this particular club?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    My reload is like the one you described. I find that it allows for a better view of what's happening down range as compared to the other technique you mentioned.
    I'm assuming the reload you do is like the second one, not the "workspace" reload?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That's the problem, though... I wanna play the game! Do you think this is just specific to this particular club?
    You could shoot USPSA instead. No issues with reloads there, in my experience.

It might be. Come shoot a KSTG match and you won't have that problem. [emoji3]

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    You could shoot USPSA instead. No issues with reloads there, in my experience.
    Fisrt USPSA match is this Saturday!

Site Supporter
    Fisrt USPSA match is this Saturday!
    Have fun!

I've gone both ways on this. and dealt with it in different ways.

initially I was trained, and used, a more muzzle-flat reload which satisfied most SOs. As things moved forward I started tipping the gun more and more, and got more and more comments from SOs/ROs. I have found the objections to be range-specific more so than game-specific, but it's fashionable to shit on IDPA these days, and most people lack any relevant volume of experience outside a single club or match and extrapolate their experience there across the entire game.

Now I just do my thing and let them keep telling me to stop doing it until they threaten to DQ me, at which point I comply. I then treat it as a training event wherein an external/abnormal condition has caused me to modify my preferred method of doing something, and fortunately my subconscious competence with manipulations is high enough to leave me brain-space to think about the reload when I need to.

something else, clubs that know you are less likely to bitch about you. In other words, over time you prove that you're safe, or too fast for them to call you in the act, and it becomes a non-issue.

I generally don't understand the level of whining these kinds of calls elicit from the timmy crowd, but maybe that's because of the way I deal with it.

User Tag List