Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mec-Gar 8 round 1911 magazines

Mec-Gar 8 round 1911 magazines

Forgive me it this has been asked before, but have any of you used these?

How did they do?

I'm not looking for carry mags here. They are affordable from what I've seen, they're available at Brownells, and I'd like some more range mags for my brace of 1911's.

If there is another quality 8 rounder in this price range with a good sized base plate, I'm all ears, I just need to be able to get them at Brownells. I do need the big baseplate because of the mag well on the one pistol.

Thanks!

I have some and they're okay. The 8 round Checkmate's with extended base pad are better.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Does checkmate make the Brownells 1911 mags by any chance?

i haven't had a mag related failure yet with mec-gars i'm running. i mixed them in with my wilson mags and my wilson professional hasn't been able to tell a difference of course YMMV.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

I bought one of the Brownell's mags a year ago. The spring and general construction feels light compared to the CMC power mags I usually use. That said, I can't recall a malfunction while using it in a dozen or more IDPA matches and general practice shooting my 200gr SWC reloads.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I have some and they're okay. The 8 round Checkmate's with extended base pad are better.
    Seconded.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Does checkmate make the Brownells 1911 mags by any chance?
    I suspect not. The Brownell's mags have a metal round top follower. Checkmate doesn't show that feature in any of their other products. I'd suspect they are made by Metalform.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...vs|Make_3=1911

For what it's worth I have some Checkmate and MecGar mags for my Colt .38 Super. They both work well. The Checkmates have a stronger spring and feel heavier made in the hand. If I were ever to carry the Colt it would be with the Checkmates. But the MecGars are fine for the range.

Site Supporter
    At the edge of my lane and late to the party- for a range mag, if they work in your gun, then by all means. If I was betting my life, I would go with Wilson ETMs, Fresh CMC Power mags ( I say fresh, b/c thier feed lips can spread a bit over time relative to the ETMs and Cobra/Tripps in my expierence, albeit limited) or Cobra Tripp, particularly if I wanted to load to 8 rounds.

YMMV Greatly,

David Barnes
    VCD Grips

I'm sorry I wasted you folks time, but I did a little more looking and found they have 3 packs of Wilson ETM's for 99.99, so I'm just gonna go that route.

Thanks for the replies all the same.

User Tag List