Thread: Stuck in bed, things to practice

Stuck in bed, things to practice

So about a month ago I ruined my knee playing, of all things, basketball. Now it might have been worth it if I considered myself a basketball player, but it had probably been 15 years since I had done anything more on the court than accept my 10 year olds horse challenge. Following surgery I was told I cannot bear weight on the leg for 3 months. Since range time is out of the question, I figured it would be a good time to get some good SIRT training in. I am somewhat limited in what I can do since it is being done while laying on my back. My question is this...prior to my accident I had been working on speeding up my transitions. Primarily working on visually acquiring the target, then bring the gun into the picture as opposed to simultaneously doing both. I was hoping to get a more in depth break down of the procedure, to include whether anybody compresses their arms slightly as they transition so that it is more of punching out to the new target. Thanks for the help guys. 2 weeks down and 10 to go

Dry fire on the ceiling if you're stuck on your back

Get someone to tape targets up and on side walls, get everyone out of the room, and SIRT it up. You'll have 90 degree transitions, just vertical instead of horizontal.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I try to get the pistol up to eye level as quickly as possible to give myself as much time to track the front sight and drive the gun to target. I've seen people present the pistol in a more direct and ultimately quicker fashion, but I find my performance is directly correlated to how quickly I can acquire my sights. Of course, this is all relative to target distance.

As far as being laid up, that sucks bro, prayers and well wishes sent. And much to the dismay of my wife, I frequently push my lazy-boy all the way back to horizontal, proceed to draw (AIWB) my SIRT and dominate the Texas Star (ceiling fan) in our vaulted living room.

I would get real creative with targets on the ceiling if stuck in bed for 3 months.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    2 weeks down and 10 to go
    Good advice thus far. A very smart ER nurse once said that that there's nothing you can do to get well faster, and a lot you can do to get well slower. Following your doc's recommendations to the letter will get you back in the game way faster than trying to be the tough guy who goes out too soon and end up reinjuring himself.

Okie John

Site Supporter
    If I can't sleep, I sometimes use the SIRT Glock on the TV. I try to do head shots on everyone when the scene changes in some drama. I need a life.

Sorry to hear you're laid up for so long.

Theres lots of old TV shows on youtube, if you like that sort of thing.

No help at this point, but when you are able to hobble around on a cane, you can practice one handed while leaning on the cane.

Have you considered picking up an airsoft gun? There are actually really nice ones out there....even though they cost a few hundred bucks, it may be worth it. There's a certain amount of satisfaction to having an actual projectile shoot from the "gun" and hit something (even if it's not a real gun), as opposed to just dry firing. So, it might be worth it just for the fun factor.

When I was in college I had a cheap battery run full auto MP5 that I would shoot an annoying kid with every time he came to our door. While it'd probably land a college kid in jail today, it was a sure way to keep my heart full of joy when stuck in the Vermont hills with 7 feet of snow outside. So, I can sort of relate....in a small way....to your situation.

They make some pretty cool targets for airsoft too. BB traps and sticky ones that keep the BBs from flying everywhere may be preferred.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks for the replies guys and the encouraging words. Yeah, it sucks being stuck in bed for this long...but it could be worse.

It might be a good time to do some vision work with this as a guide: Vision
    by Gabriel “OragamiAK” White

User Tag List