Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Garland PD shooting

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I guess nobody read this...request this thread be closed.
    Done. Sorry if I contributed to the thread drift...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Can anyone link me to a decent run down of the event? I know it's still very early in the investigation, but I'm curious about things like: on what side of the structure did they pull up on, were they driving aggressively, what was their first overtly hostile action, et cetera?

We've grown more than a few whack jobs here locally, unfortunately.
    No. This I s still a very much active investigation. We are learning stuff daily and even initial information has changed. At some point a solid LE training AAR will be done as there is a ton of very good learning lessons in this case, but it will likely be a LE only document.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I moved the off-topic stuff to new thread in the RR and reopened this thread.

Let's keep this thread on topic please.
    Well done! I have nothing more to add except my Forsyth County Sheriff's Dept seem like the types that would study this for lessons.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm thinking reports of body armor on the bad guys was incorrect
    Are there any numbers on how often body armor is actually used in crimes? The media is going to see anything vaguely vest-like and assume it's body armor. It rarely is, but it seems as if James Holmes did have actual armor, and I'm sure there are other examples.

Also, thoughts on immediately transitioning to the head if you observe something that's potentially armor, versus shooting a failure drill? I've seen knowledgeable people suggest (my rough synopsis) to always shoot the body first, because it's faster and takes away their stable platform to shoot you at you.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Some media photos. We see what looks like actual body armor, not LBV. And that sure looks like a KelTec sub 2k to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

On the other hand, it may not be anything like the NIJ IIIa armor most of us picture when we hear "body armor." Those panels could easily be something from a stab vest, or a el cheapo surplus flak vest, and may have had effectively no ballistic protection. Hard to say just from photos.

Edit: Sorry if that's thread drifty. I suppose this just goes to show the importance of making good hits, fast enough to win.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 05-08-2015 at 12:13 AM.

The shooters are from Phoenix. I know the area they shared an apartment together and the type of financial problems they had. They probably didn't have a whole lot of resources for weapons and armor. So Kel-tecs and surplus or sportsman guide vests seem reasonable .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Again, evidence out of context is useless from any kind of training value for law enforcement. What is the training value for law enforcement of the financial status of of the terrorists? Do any of you know the context of the Kel tec, and how it factored into the incident?

How about we start a total speculation about Garland thread in the Romper Room and it can be discussed with everyone's feelings about it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List