Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    What would be your recommendation(s) for a smaller npe knife. The pikal?
    It depends on how you can carry the blade (i.e. dress code, preferred position, your own technique/methodology which affects how you want to draw the knife etc..).

That Halloran looks great though it is nearly a 4" blade and it might make it difficult for pocket carry for example but IWB or AIWB carry could be easy with it if 1) you have a covering garment or 2) if you can wrap your tucked in shirt over the knife (to the left or to the right). Also, are doubled edged knives legal where you are?

The difficulty is not really the knife but the sheath. Getting a good sheath (pocket or IWB) is what enables you to carry in an NPE environment, no matter what knife to carry.

For a multipurpose use knife that's factory (as opposed to waiting for a custom blade to be available) and that's small enough to hide but big enough to use, I tend to recommend the Spyderco Street Beat, but the sheath isn't that great. Though I'm sure Orionz06 could hook you up with something that would fit your exact needs.

There is a thread here (that I can't find right now) about pocket carry that has a lot of good info. If you can find it, I think it can answer a lot of questions for you.

I've got several Halloran knives including a standard STX and a couple of his Pikals. I had him make me an STX with a 1" longer blade. I find that the longer one carries better for me IWB. Very pleased with his quality and service. I like his sheaths. I prefer the STX to the Pikal for carry, as I think it more versatile.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    I tried carrying a pikal around but my mind could not wrap around the reversed blade context after using knives for decades normally.

Southern Grind Jackal Pup next to a clinch pick. Just a few quick and dirty comparison pics.

My custom STX vs a standard one:
    Name:  stxlandstaNDARD.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  79.8 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

My Strider DB and my Halloran Seax

Quote Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
    My Strider DB and my Halloran Seax

Serious knife envy!!!!!

So I'm starting to reconsider the clinch pick. I always carry a folder so it makes sense to get a defensive blade for those times I can't carry a firearm. Also, I got a gift card to Amazon which means I could have it in a couple days lol
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Serious knife envy!!!!!

So I'm starting to reconsider the clinch pick. I always carry a folder so it makes sense to get a defensive blade for those times I can't carry a firearm. Also, I got a gift card to Amazon which means I could have it in a couple days lol
    Thanks I'm pretty happy with these two. If I had an Amazon gift card I think I'd snag a Spyderco Yojimbo 2.

The DB is on my duty belt, and I carry an Emerson Karambit in my support side pocket. Off duty I carry an Emerson CQC 15 support side pocket. The Seax is my favorite knife and I conceal carry it if clothing won't allow a gun.
    Last edited by KCBRUIN; 12-27-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Name:  IMG_0089.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  33.6 KB

Man, ya'll have way cooler fixed blades than me. I just carry this Gerber Tanto around like an asshole. But at the same time, I don't really feel bad if something bad happens to it.

Does anyone make production knives similar to Halloran's offerings (particularly the obviously grippy handle designs)?

User Tag List