Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    So this is almost in opposite of philosophy of the weapon choice to Clinch Pick? As far as length of the blade?
    Not to speak for Nyeti or Craig, but different schools of thought...
    A longer blade creates a greater wound channel and will reach vital organs, a spear point is especially good at this. However, you may not have the option to legally carry a double edged blade where you live. Look at knives that people hunt game with and you will find very few "tactical" designs. When your life is literally on the line, traditional designs that have worked for centuries are used most.
    A 3.5"-4" blade will work well (on humans) and is easily concealable with the correct sheath.

No matter what knife you choose, training with a good instructor will be the most important factor. Do lots of research and look at many knives before you commit to any one martial arts system or blade design. Find something that works best for YOU.
    Last edited by DI1; 05-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.

So this is almost in opposite of philosophy of the weapon choice to Clinch Pick? As far as length of the blade?
    Not at all. I designed the CP starting with the footprint at a very specific location. The grip came next and quite frankly the blade was the last consideration. Length first then shape.

The blade length on the CP is a by-product of the footprint. I'm thrust-centric and power heavy. Monkey with a screwdriver is the best visual.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    What about "the bob" is anyone using that?
    Rick
    I have a "Bob"...it's pretty much a slightly different CP. I prefer the CP's handle shape, personally. The "Bob" is a good quality knife, though.

I carry the Ban Tang version of the CP.
    3/15/2016

SouthNarc has a larger blade, compared to the Clinch Pick. Meet the Disciple (this is a double edged, Nightmare grind custom variant by Ban Tang):

A more standard version:

~7.5” OAL, with a ~3.5” blade. More information here.

There is also the Spyderco Reverse, a fixed blade P'kal that us reversible. Joint effort between Craig and Michael Janich.

I snagged a pair and they're very nice and fill the Disciple role for me very well.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

What does HiTS stand for?
    I am assuming at this point that there is not a specific philosophy or method of training with the HiTS knife? You use it in whatever discipline you choose. The Clinch Pick is specific to training that SouthNarc gives?

The Clinch Pick is specific to training that SouthNarc gives?
    There are several guys that could do the tool justice besides me.

HiTS is the phonetic acronym Hardwired Tactical Shooting and is Darryl and Wayne's venture. The HiTS knife is a collaboration between Darryl and Joe Watson. I've never taken a knife class with Darryl but I know his lineage and I'm sure it's sound content.

You really wouldn't have to have a class with either of us to use our knives. Not the best marketing I know but it is troof.

Actually Nyeti recommended going to your class. I'm just trying to figure this out. Thanks for the patience.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    There are several guys that could do the tool justice besides me.

HiTS is the phonetic acronym Hardwired Tactical Shooting and is Darryl and Wayne's venture. The HiTS knife is a collaboration between Darryl and Joe Watson. I've never taken a knife class with Darryl but I know his lineage and I'm sure it's sound content.

You really wouldn't have to have a class with either of us to use our knives. Not the best marketing I know but it is troof.

Actually Nyeti recommended going to your class. I'm just trying to figure this out. Thanks for the patience.
    No worries dude! The 16 hour Edged Weapons Overview (EWO) course is just that and not specific to any one design including mine. I actually have both live blade and trainer for the HiTS knife and keep it in the bag for guys that want to finger bang it and train with it.

What does HiTS stand for?
    I am assuming at this point that there is not a specific philosophy or method of training with the HiTS knife? You use it in whatever discipline you choose. The Clinch Pick is specific to training that SouthNarc gives?
    While I've never taken a class from Southnarc, I think the name itself gives you an excellent idea for how it's used: it's for the clinch. However, you don't have to limit it to that; for example, it's quite good at back cuts from just outside hand range. The Clinch Pick is an edge-in claw best held in forward grip, there are lots of ways to use it.

I've also never taken a class from Nyeti, but just looking at the knife (and later holding it), one can tell it's not for slashing but it isn't bad at it.

What either of those knives can do is only limited by your knowledge, training and imagination.

User Tag List