Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

No problem :-)

Hey everyone, quick question.

I'm looking to add a small fixed blade to my EDC, especially since I'll be in more NPE environments.

I don't have a high budget, so I don't have have the dime for a RAT or Watson HiTS.

So, I'm looking at some cheaper options like: CRKT Folts Minimalist, Cold Steel Secret Edge, or a Clinch Pick (I may throw up a JMCK holster to get some extra cash for a Clinch Pick). I'd probably throw them in a Blade Rigs sheath or ask Tom to make a sheath for the Minimalist or Secret Edge.

Any thoughts on those two cheaper options?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

I'm looking to add a small fixed blade to my EDC, especially since I'll be in more NPE environments.

I don't have a high budget, so I don't have have the dime for a RAT or Watson HiTS.

So, I'm looking at some cheaper options like: CRKT Folts Minimalist, Cold Steel Secret Edge, or a Clinch Pick (I may throw up a JMCK holster to get some extra cash for a Clinch Pick). I'd probably throw them in a Blade Rigs sheath or ask Tom to make a sheath for the Minimalist or Secret Edge.

Matthew, if I were going to have to rely on one or the other in self defense mode, I'd pick either of the Folts models over the Cold Steel version.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Matthew, if I were going to have to rely on one or the other in self defense mode, I'd pick either of the Folts models over the Cold Steel version.
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

I guess it, in part depends on what your primary use is going to be (work or defense or what combination of both, or maybe some other specialized use for you) and what training you have had.
    I don't have any experience with either the Folts or the Secret Edge, so I can only comment from the photos and they both look as if they both have some versatility for work but the Folts is more likely to stay in your hand (unlike the Secret Edge) if you have to fight with it (don't pick the wharncliffe blade if your defensive techniques involves stabbing primarily).

The Clinch Pick is pretty much defense oriented but if all the work you do with it is opening mail and boxes, it will do fine (cutting tomatoes to make a sandwich is not really within its capabilities); on the other hand, the CP is probably the most straightforward to use for defensive purposes (pointy end in soft stuff, rip out, lather rinse repeat).

The CRKT Obake designs (large and/or small) look pretty good and support a reverse grip approach to defending yourself while having a good cutting blade (going by photos only).

Long story short, for pure defense only, get a CP, for more versatility, the Folts or Obake are better.

It will be specifically for defensive purposes, especially in NPE environments. I have been leaning toward the CP, but I'm going to need to move some extra HK P2000 accessories to buy it.

I think the Obake looks like a nice option, too. Similar to the Secret Edge, I don't necessarily like the lack of a finger choil/jimping.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Shivworks-Pro.../dp/B01H810BJS

The Clinch Pick is now on Amazon. Which means you can support Shivworks and PF if you buy it from amazon through that link!
    So if I share this link with people, even if they click on it from, say, a text...PF benefits?

I have some coworkers looking to buy, so if I can force them to unwittingly support PF...ha!
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I think the production Clinch Pick is worth the small price increase and it, IMHO, works better in a greater variety of environments than most of the others listed.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Primary goal: prepare for the apocalypse and/or minor pre-apocalyptic incidents that remind me of the apocalypse
    Secondary goal: promote and support friends and teammates under all circumstances

Getting someone to buy a clinch pick through a link that supports PFC is basically achieving the primary and secondary goals in an infinite loop of primary and secondary achievement and I feel like it's worth pursuing for the karmic feedback effect alone. It's like creating a physical moebius strip of personal physical preparedness. The more attempts I make at closing the loop, the more it appears to be an infinite, non-repeating pattern.

I admit I have been drinking.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Wow.

Okay still, I'll promote the essay - length version.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

User Tag List