Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

From Puma Denmark. An anniversary knife. If they went production on this I would buy one.

Name:  puma knife.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  32.0 KB

Site Supporter

http://www.benchmade.com/fixedbladek...er-family.html

I like Benchmade's new offering, not too expensive. Right size for my 3" limit jurisdiction.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 01-11-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

You conceal carry that?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Loving this quote.

If you aren't investing some amount of money in stashing inexpensive knives everywhere you may need one, you're not adequately preparing. Are good knives better? Sure. But for what a Spyderco Delica costs, I can buy half a dozen 3" paring knives that will do the job of ruining someone's day and be completely and utterly invisible to most people. A sheathed paring knife in a backpack with a fork and spoon? Utensils. A paring knife in your desk drawer at work? A letter opener/apple slicer. A paring knife in the glovebox with some duct tape? Emergency kit for dealing with a blown heater hose.

Brightly colored ones are virtually invisible to most people as innocuous tools and frankly that is what they are. In NPEs I've seen visceral reactions to pocket knives with clips. A Clinch Pick unconcealed on my belt? Forget it. But a paring knife in my desk drawer? No biggy. One in my bag and I use it to slice an apple at lunch? It's just a tool. On my way home, I can slip it in my pocket. If I set it up properly a quick attach/detach static cord can go on and it can be conveniently secreted on my person. It can be disposed of without significant financial or sentimental loss. I can't say the same for some of my other knives. If a cop took the Emerson CQC-9 custom folder that my wife and I got together at our first Blade Show I would be fucking devastated about that loss (which is also why I never carry the damn thing).

I certainly appreciate carrying a stout, effective knife, and do so with regularity. I also recognize the utility of having a sharp knife, anywhere and everywhere I may spend significant time. It's just handy to do that. Plus, every once in awhile, I forget to put a knife on and it's nice to have a spare. Just make sure you empty them out before heading to the airport. Of course...if it's a $4 paring knife that TSA takes, who cares?

-Rob
    Knew a guy who kept a sharpened shovel in his car for just that reason...and that thing was sharp...

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    You conceal carry that?
    California’s Penal Code Section 21310 bans concealed carry of dirks and daggers, defined under Penal Code Section 16470 as a knife or other instrument, with or without a hand guard, that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon, and that may inflict a significant or substantial physical injury or death. In other words, even a sharpened pencil qualifies as a dirk or a dagger under a literal reading of the statutes. Thankfully, there is little general regulation of concealed carry of non-assisted folders and open carry of any kind of knives.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    California’s Penal Code Section 21310 bans concealed carry of dirks and daggers, defined under Penal Code Section 16470 as a knife or other instrument, with or without a hand guard, that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon, and that may inflict a significant or substantial physical injury or death. In other words, even a sharpened pencil qualifies as a dirk or a dagger under a literal reading of the statutes. Thankfully, there is little general regulation of concealed carry of non-assisted folders and open carry of any kind of knives.
    I was confused by your posting a pic of the Bowie in a thread about knives for CCW.

And that's one more reason not to live in Kalifornia.

Site Supporter
    Any opinions on the Sosby Spike vs the Sentinel Mk3? Both can be had in 154cm with a good sheath and trainer. They seem very similar, with the spike being cheaper. Also, what's the consensus on chisel ground blades? I have very limited experience with chisel grinds. I'm not spending more on a knife than the G19 already on my belt, so the RAT is out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you aren't investing some amount of money in stashing inexpensive knives everywhere you may need one, you're not adequately preparing. Are good knives better? Sure. But for what a Spyderco Delica costs, I can buy half a dozen 3" paring knives that will do the job of ruining someone's day and be completely and utterly invisible to most people. A sheathed paring knife in a backpack with a fork and spoon? Utensils. A paring knife in your desk drawer at work? A letter opener/apple slicer. A paring knife in the glovebox with some duct tape? Emergency kit for dealing with a blown heater hose.

Brightly colored ones are virtually invisible to most people as innocuous tools and frankly that is what they are. In NPEs I've seen visceral reactions to pocket knives with clips. A Clinch Pick unconcealed on my belt? Forget it. But a paring knife in my desk drawer? No biggy. One in my bag and I use it to slice an apple at lunch? It's just a tool. On my way home, I can slip it in my pocket. If I set it up properly a quick attach/detach static cord can go on and it can be conveniently secreted on my person. It can be disposed of without significant financial or sentimental loss. I can't say the same for some of my other knives. If a cop took the Emerson CQC-9 custom folder that my wife and I got together at our first Blade Show I would be fucking devastated about that loss (which is also why I never carry the damn thing).

I certainly appreciate carrying a stout, effective knife, and do so with regularity. I also recognize the utility of having a sharp knife, anywhere and everywhere I may spend significant time. It's just handy to do that. Plus, every once in awhile, I forget to put a knife on and it's nice to have a spare. Just make sure you empty them out before heading to the airport. Of course...if it's a $4 paring knife that TSA takes, who cares?

-Rob
    I'm in agreement with Rob, but not ghetto enough to carry a pairing knife

I carry a CRKT Thunder Strike inside my waist band. I found it on sale through MidwayUSA for about $20. You can also find it for under $30 on Amazon. I've eventually ran out of pocket blades issued when I was in the military. All either broken, lost or taken by TSA. Now that I have to pay for my own stuff, I've bought several Bryd Delica (Spyderco designs but made under the Byrd brand) and Kershaws online for around $20 each.

User Tag List