Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

These characteristics are undesirable on the K2 but aren't some of these you mention the same as on the MKIII?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Lets look at the two side by side, best we can...

This is my opinion, based on training and implementation of the RAT and just looking at the K2.

The K2 comes in double-edged or single edged, so while it may be of similar size to the RAT, in a double-edged design you'll end up self-inflicting during striking with any other grip than a full grip or a full reverse grip.

The K2 also has ridges on the back of the handle and the blade itself, for what purpose? It does not help the blade to be more stable in your hand, that comes from grip design and smooth edges of the grip, which the K2 does not have, when compared to the clearly smoother edges of the RAT. The K2 has a choil, which is the product of either lack of understanding what blades do when they go through clothing/skin or laziness. Any "fighting knife" that has a choil was designed by someone who doesn't understand that skin, clothing and whatever else gets caught (like bone) will get stuck and bunched up there, the K2 actually has two choil's on their double sided models.

Blade grip design is also important, the RAT has a grip that is just slightly thicker than the blade, and allows the spine of the blade (center of the spear point) to be above the grip, there is logic in that based from experience of use (a pedigree, if you will) while the K2 has a thick grip with a huge groove that does not share the same characteristics.

There are other issues that I can see may be a factor but without handling the K2 I cannot speak to (thumb capping, grip being offlined and not allowing for power assisting) and a few others.

That's just off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    These characteristics are undesirable on the K2 but aren't some of these you mention the same as on the MKIII?
    Some yes, doesn't mean the blade is worthless to try, or maybe it is?

To each his own I guess?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Has anyone received their MKIII's?

Quote Originally Posted by 808sheriff View Post
    Has anyone received their MKIII's?
    I got a shipping notice and mine should be in tomorrow.

Dynamis has 20% off for those who want the RAT. Code: crushturkey

Site Supporter
    How do laws against dirks, daggers, stilettos and knives designed for stabbing interact with a double edged carry knife? You find such definitions in laws in TX or OR - IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    How do laws against dirks, daggers, stilettos and knives designed for stabbing interact with a double edged carry knife? You find such definitions in laws in TX or OR - IIRC.
    Depending on the place and how militantly liberal they are with their laws, it can be argued that a blade with two sharp sides has no other lawful use other than being an offensive weapon. Yes this is broad and envelopes many items not just blades, but their laws, their rules.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    ...Blade grip design is also important, the RAT has a grip that is just slightly thicker than the blade, and allows the spine of the blade (center of the spear point) to be above the grip, there is logic in that based from experience of use (a pedigree, if you will) while the K2 has a thick grip with a huge groove that does not share the same characteristics.

There are other issues that I can see may be a factor but without handling the K2 I cannot speak to (thumb capping, grip being offlined and not allowing for power assisting) and a few others.
    hey, voodoo_man - could you walk me through these explanations? I'm on the same page for most of what you wrote but I'm not following when you say that the RAT grip allows the spine of the blade to be above the grip. I'm also lost when you say that the grip's offlined on the K2. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post

hey, voodoo_man - could you walk me through these explanations? I'm on the same page for most of what you wrote but I'm not following when you say that the RAT grip allows the spine of the blade to be above the grip. I'm also lost when you say that the grip's offlined on the K2. Thanks!
    If you dont mind, i am a few glasses into my favorite henny so ill respond tomorrow.
    VDMSR.com

Besides being a poor copy of the RAT knife, the Outland blade looks to be as ergonomic as a prison shiv. While I'm sure it would look cool in your loadout on Battlefield 4, all the sharp edges on that thing would tear your hands up if you trained with it. The hands and body are round and organic and martial implements should mimic these features.

User Tag List