Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    Voodooman, I agree with your first statement, there is no one blade for everyone.
    I call BS on your second, please state why you believe the pedigree is not there?
    I have spoken to Kyle and Dom in person at length regarding their blade designs and don't understand why you would say that unless you have been drinking a lot of Sayoc Kool-Aid!
    I have been studying knife and stick work for over 20 years and have not found a better fighter than the Dynamis/Winkler knife. I have had literally hundreds of knives pass through my hands over the years.
    I had tried to post re: the Dynamis knife over the weekend, but had technical issues.

I'm currently carrying a Spartan Phobos as a dedicated defensive blade, AIWB support side. With no trainer, a skeleton grip, and a wharncliffe blade, it's not ideal as a fighting knife and I'm looking at other options. Right now the Spartan/bench made SOCP and the Dynamis look the most promising (I have a Winkler knife I use for outdoor chores – love it). It would be great if you could expand upon your experiences with the Dynamis knife.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    $500 for the package with trainer?! Wish I was rich like you guys

Gata pay to play...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Hopefully they'll go on-sale again sometime.
    Yeah, totally worth the wait.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I had tried to post re: the Dynamis knife over the weekend, but had technical issues.

I'm currently carrying a Spartan Phobos as a dedicated defensive blade, AIWB support side. With no trainer, a skeleton grip, and a wharncliffe blade, it's not ideal as a fighting knife and I'm looking at other options. Right now the Spartan/bench made SOCP and the Dynamis look the most promising (I have a Winkler knife I use for outdoor chores – love it). It would be great if you could expand upon your experiences with the Dynamis knife.
    I carry the Dynamis at 3:00 o'clock on my support side for reverse icepick draw. It is slightly too large for aiwb, there will be a shorter version coming soon. The knife and sheath combo are overall fantastic but quite expensive (cheaper than buying 20 crappy knives and then trying to resell them or give them away). They do go on sale once in a while. The blade is very well thought out, grip is excellent and Winkler uses excellent steel. The blade is a very good stabber and cutter with ability to penetrate deeply. The grip fits MY hand very well and is easily concealed under light clothing. The trainer is excellent and fits in the sheath perfectly.

Let me know if you have further questions?

Let me know if you have further questions?
    Thanks that's all very helpful. I'll have to contact Dynamis about the shorter blade – the current model is definitely too big to CC legally.

My only question for you is if you have ever used a knife like the SOCP and if so what were your thoughts on that style of defensive blade. Oh, and your thoughts on double vs single edge as well.

I've got a Tracker Dan and Joe Watson Ti Bloodshark with Joe's "Jap Wrap" and I love it. I've had an awesome experience with Dan as well and will definitely be a return customer for the classic steel Bloodshark. His Punchbadger also looks really intriguing and we had a good conversation about it.

I've emailed numerous times about the material of the Rat as well and haven't received an answer; for more reasons than that I'll be picking up the Dynamis blade at some point.

Hmm... The Clinch Pick and Trainer Package retail for $170.00
    Or three sets for $510...

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Thanks that's all very helpful. I'll have to contact Dynamis about the shorter blade – the current model is definitely too big to CC legally.

My only question for you is if you have ever used a knife like the SOCP and if so what were your thoughts on that style of defensive blade. Oh, and your thoughts on double vs single edge as well.
    I have a SOCP and trainer, it will not cut anything, is made to stab only. It lives on my plate carrier as it takes up barely any space and I don't care if I lose it. The blade is ground with very steep angle which does not allow it to be an efficient cutter. I spoke to the guys at Spartan about it, that was the design.
    There is no set date on the release of the smaller Dynamis blade, probably this year...
    I generally prefer double edged fighting knives, but you have to carry what is legal in your area. Can still do very well with a properly designed single edged knife.

I have a SOCP and trainer, it will not cut anything, is made to stab only. It lives on my plate carrier as it takes up barely any space and I don't care if I lose it. The blade is ground with very steep angle which does not allow it to be an efficient cutter. I spoke to the guys at Spartan about it, that was the design.
    That's helpful, thanks. I have not trained in any knife-fighting (though I've done a good bit of striking) and would really envision using a defensive blade to get myself out of a bad position / get to my handgun (also AIWB). It seemed like the SOCP might be good for quick slashes along with stabs / pokes... but it appears that it isn't. Good to know.

On a separate note... does anybody know if anyone is making custom training blades? I would like to have one made for my phobos (while I'm still carrying it) but haven't had much luck.

Keen Edge Knives has made custom trainers in the past. They have a number of different models; I'd give 'em a shout to see if they are willing to do one offs or whatever:

http://www.keenedgeknives.com/#!onli...=9&sort=normal
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

User Tag List