Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Just out of curiosity...I don't see Spartan knives mentioned hardly at all except an earlier comment that they refuse to provide trainers.
    Why is that?

KA-BAR TDI Knife Review: Unsafe for Duty
    http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=2622

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    KA Bar TDI, the original size, in a horizontal sheath, made by NSR tactical. Worn forward of left hip, handle facing centerline, whole setup less than $85 and works great, the TDI is an awesome little knife, especially for someone, like me, that has limited training with edge weapons

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Respectfully, I think you're putting too much faith in things you read rather than getting some first-hand experience/training.

The review's gripe with the TDI is not the knife, but the factory sheath. Andrew, on the other hand, is using an aftermarket sheath.

If you read to the end of the review, there's an update in which the author says his problems with the factory sheath have been solved.

In any regard, the author's problems with the original sheath are inherent to just about any kydex sheath that leaves the handle exposed to the world. His wish for a locking device on the sheath (which TDI did eventually produce) is the exception in the knife world: not the rule. I don't think a single knife in this entire thread comes with a locking-mechanism sheath (unless I overlooked one).

The problem he describes in the article has much more to do with carry method/location, not to mention weapons retention training, than it does with a sheath. I don't know any knife trainers who deem a retention locking mechanism necessary for a knife.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    I agree regarding the original TDI sheaths lack of retention for uniformed "open" carry, however that review is from 2012. The newer models (hinderer and hellfire) now come with a locking retention sheath.

http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=7388

Just out of curiosity...I don't see Spartan knives mentioned hardly at all except an earlier comment that they refuse to provide trainers.
    Why is that?

This came straight from Greg during a SOCP class in 2011.

Initially, Greg had partnered with Spartan Blades to make the dagger. Greg's biggest parameters for the blade were 1. made in USA, 2. didn't add anything that he didn't envision for it, 3. cost should be around $100ish for a package deal of blade, trainer and sheath in order for .mil dudes to be able to afford them out of pocket, since there was no plan/contract/purchase agreement to have the SOCP Dagger become an issued item to select customers.

The first run that Spartan made, came out MUCH higher in price than Greg was comfortable with. Greg bought them all outright and handed them out to the grads of the class. That was the last time IIRC that he commissioned a run from Spartan. He shopped his design with the same general guidelines and landed at Benchmade, which seems to have been a very beneficial partnership for both. The SOCP Dagger from Benchmade has all the copyrighted/registered stuff, which is why Spartan's design is slightly different, and they call it the "CQB Tool".

As far as I know, Spartan does make/sell a trainer for their CQB Tool.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I had a SOCP and trainer from benchmade a while ago...

I had a serious problem in training getting myself not to put a finger inside the hole. So much so I ditched the whole thing and went to a full sized pentagon.

Yes, I would be interested to know as well. The ring was purpose designed to be utilized, it was never meant to be a hilt/cross guard/similar. The user's index finger is supposed to go inside the ring, other use would defeat its purpose.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Degloving and finger breakage is always a concern. How big of a deal it is seems to vary but I won't stick my finger in a ring under the circumstances of intended use.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm not putting faith in anything. I can submit everything to you for your approval if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Respectfully, I think you're putting too much faith in things you read rather than getting some first-hand experience/training.

The review's gripe with the TDI is not the knife, but the factory sheath. Andrew, on the other hand, is using an aftermarket sheath.

If you read to the end of the review, there's an update in which the author says his problems with the factory sheath have been solved.

In any regard, the author's problems with the original sheath are inherent to just about any kydex sheath that leaves the handle exposed to the world. His wish for a locking device on the sheath (which TDI did eventually produce) is the exception in the knife world: not the rule. I don't think a single knife in this entire thread comes with a locking-mechanism sheath (unless I overlooked one).

The problem he describes in the article has much more to do with carry method/location, not to mention weapons retention training, than it does with a sheath. I don't know any knife trainers who deem a retention locking mechanism necessary for a knife.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Edited to remove unnecessary bickering.
    Last edited by Byron; 05-26-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    Just saw this and it's back to $500. Too late for me.

User Tag List