Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Yes, I am aware of the design brain trust behind the Rat. Dom Raso used to carry the Rat as well IIRC. He and Daniel Winkler collaborated for the Dynamis Blade. If one doesn't consider Winkler to be a blade guy, then I don't know who would qualify.

I think both examples share the same design parameters. One isn't necessarily "better" IMO.

Tried the Rat. Little small. Tried the Dynamis. Very nice fit for my large hands.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Making/designing blades and using them on people are two different things, widely different.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Being familiar with both, I'd love to hear why you think one is better than the other.
    Thatll be an offline convo one day.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I've played around with both, own the Dynamis Blade. Awesome pure fighter design! Dom and Winkler nailed it!
    The RAT is nice, but not for me. Although, at the discount price...

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    I have the SOCP as well and it is easily concealed. My only concern with it is that the handle is quite thin and can twist in your hand. Also, I did not like the fact that you can not cut with it as it comes direct from Benchmade, easily rectified by sharpening the edges.
    Greg Thompson, one of my BJJ professors originally designed the SOCP for the very specific purpose of guys kitted up, needing something as a tool to enable you to gain access to other tools (he stated it allows you to still get a firing grip on a firearm without dropping or stowing the knife) The thin handle was that way to allow you to still hold a firearm once you've created distance. I won't necessarily agree or disagree. But, that was his thought process.

I think Craig's handle makes more sense for me, and how I believe I would employ the blade. But, they all work in one way or another.

My issue with the original SOCP is that except when I was carrying it in a .mil capacity down range I couldn't have it on me in either a off duty capacity or even on post due to most on post restrictions for weapons (no double edged blades). I'm glade they went to a single edge version as it opens up more possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Being familiar with both, I'd love to hear why you think one is better than the other.
    I don't know which is better but here iis some info on the dynamis blade design attributes.

https://www.dynamisalliance.com/blog...kler-knives-ii
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-26-2015 at 06:50 AM.

double tap

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    Greg Thompson, one of my BJJ professors originally designed the SOCP for the very specific purpose of guys kitted up, needing something as a tool to enable you to gain access to other tools (he stated it allows you to still get a firing grip on a firearm without dropping or stowing the knife) The thin handle was that way to allow you to still hold a firearm once you've created distance. I won't necessarily agree or disagree. But, that was his thought process.

I think Craig's handle makes more sense for me, and how I believe I would employ the blade. But, they all work in one way or another.

My issue with the original SOCP is that except when I was carrying it in a .mil capacity down range I couldn't have it on me in either a off duty capacity or even on post due to most on post restrictions for weapons (no double edged blades). I'm glade they went to a single edge version as it opens up more possibilities.
    I had a SOCP and trainer from benchmade a while ago...

I had a serious problem in training getting myself not to put a finger inside the hole. So much so I ditched the whole thing and went to a full sized pentagon.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

KA Bar TDI, the original size, in a horizontal sheath, made by NSR tactical. Worn forward of left hip, handle facing centerline, whole setup less than $85 and works great, the TDI is an awesome little knife, especially for someone, like me, that has limited training with edge weapons

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I had a SOCP and trainer from benchmade a while ago...

I had a serious problem in training getting myself not to put a finger inside the hole. So much so I ditched the whole thing and went to a full sized pentagon.
    Why would you NOT use the hole? I understand everyone has a preference, just asking?

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post

I'm aware of Greg's contribution and spoke at length with Spartan Knives regarding the original design. For me, I would prefer a slightly thicker handle. Hardcore Knives of Australia just did their "modified" version of the SOCP, but it has a sub-hilt nub in the handle that does not look comfortable.
    IMO, I don't see a reason to hold onto your knife while firing a pistol, no matter how thin the grip is. I know guys that have trained to do it, but I see it as a self inflicted accident waiting to happen.

User Tag List