Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Just arived today. Dress 3finger. 3/16", Koa Handles, Black G19 liners and two leather sheaths (IWB, deep pocket). I think Tom did a fine job. It's very sharp, and very stabby, yet still has alot of nicely shaped edge for general cutting work.

You sir, have some cool toys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    I went with the Ti Small Bowie; I wanted something in the 4" range. Much pleased.

Attachment 3990
    VERY NICE!

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Did you get a chance to check out my review? I believe I mentioned that thy changed the metal they use from d2 to something else, though it is still pretty good.

Just this week I had my hestf sharpenes by a local guy and it cuts hair now, amazing little blade for what it is.
    I saw that. Looks like they now use German Niolox 60 HRC tool steel. Also a great steel and very hard like D2. Holds an edge very well although I don't think I have the skill to sharpen it properly. Will most likely send it out in the event it needs sharpening.

Not feeling it...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Blade looks cool, giant sheath looks expensive, I wonder if they'd knock some money off for a knife only?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I don't know that it would conceal for many unless they go small of back. That's actually not uncommon among folks trying to capitalize on the fixed blade knife infatuation period. Without any sorta of info on what it was designed for we're left to guess.
    Last edited by orionz06; 11-22-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

While I am a fan of big double-sided blades (like the full size sog pentagon ), these bigger conceal carry-centric blades are not really concealable.

There is also a misconception that bigger blades mean better, which may be the case in some specific applications, but for conceal carry, I'd prefer a blade like the RAT over many others due to various design features, concealment-ability and other factors.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    BUt then where would I carry my NY reloads?

Attachment 4567
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    How long is the RAT? The website says that the blade length is 3.5" (0.2" shorter than the Kryptos). Based upon the photos, it looks like the OAL is probably close to 7.5" (but that's just a guess).

Overall, besides the aesthetics, it appears the RAT and Kryptos, are very similar: 3.5" vs 3.7" blade length, 0.75" vs. 0.85" blade width, both are spear points, both have the "pinky hook", both have deep finger choils. Is it the couple tenths of inches in length/width that make the difference? It's an honest question. I literally know nothing about using knives on people.
    Lets look at the two side by side, best we can...

This is my opinion, based on training and implementation of the RAT and just looking at the K2.

I do not have big Sasquatch sized hands, I can make a RAT disappear in my hand if I wanted to, so I assume most men can to unless they are actually women. With that, my index finger rides the side or the top of the blade in various positions to assist in targeting or stability during engagement. The K2 comes in double-edged or single edged, so while it may be of similar size to the RAT, in a double-edged design you'll end up self-inflicting during striking with any other grip than a full grip or a full reverse grip.

The K2 also has ridges on the back of the handle and the blade itself, for what purpose? It does not help the blade to be more stable in your hand, that comes from grip design and smooth edges of the grip, which the K2 does not have, when compared to the clearly smoother edges of the RAT. The K2 has a choil, which is the product of either lack of understanding what blades do when they go through clothing/skin or laziness. Any "fighting knife" that has a choil was designed by someone who doesn't understand that skin, clothing and whatever else gets caught (like bone) will get stuck and bunched up there, the K2 actually has two choil's on their double sided models.

Blade grip design is also important, the RAT has a grip that is just slightly thicker than the blade, and allows the spine of the blade (center of the spear point) to be above the grip, there is logic in that based from experience of use (a pedigree, if you will) while the K2 has a thick grip with a huge groove that does not share the same characteristics.

There are other issues that I can see may be a factor but without handling the K2 I cannot speak to (thumb capping, grip being offlined and not allowing for power assisting) and a few others.

That's just off the top of my head.
    VDMSR.com

Saw the Sosby Blades Spike on Chris Fry's site. Similar to the Dynamis RAT and Sentinel Mk III.

User Tag List