Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

On the original topic, I was neck-carrying a Spyderco Ronin at the time I saw Craig Douglas' informal presentation in the loading dock area of the Cobb Galleria, during Blade Show 2004. I soon rigged a Ronin sheath to ride like a Clinch Pick, then ordered a Clinch Pick as they were available, followed by multiple Disciples. I then carried my Clinch Pick vertically to the left of my belt buckle, until the sheath cracked. I carried that Clinch just about everywhere, daily, and "daily" is not an exaggeration. I then bought another Clinch Pick, but while trying to figure-out how to position the sheath in a way to avoid stressing the Kydex as I did with the first one, I got side-tracked, and forgot about it.

Off and on, I carried a Disciple just forward of the right hip bone, and also rigged a Disciple to ride like a Clinch Pick.

I got away from regular daily carry of fixed-blades for a number of years, but am re-visiting the idea. I bought a Crawford Kasper Scorpion last year at Blade, then set it on a shelf until recently, when I decided to try to sort-out how to best carry it. I am also thinking I may start carrying a Disciple again. Part of my process of sorting-out where to carry a fixed-blade knife, is that I have recently acquired a couple of very good AIWB holsters, which interfere with how I had preferred to carry a fixed-blade for an upward draw.
    Have you tried carrying your knife in the left side appendix position? I've been carrying a becker bk24 left side aiwb for the last year set up for a vertical draw. I use paracord loops that allow some give and flex and it's been working well, even at work, which is landscaping and has me bending over and moving all day long. I make no claims to be a knife guru, but it didn't take long to feel comfortable using my simple angry sewing machine technique with my left hand.

I admittedly don't carry a spare mag most of the time, and when I do it's in my back left pocket. I figure a good fix blade is worth the trade off since it can perform a lot more tasks than a magazine, or even a folder. For instance I used it to jimmy the lock on the sliding door at my apartment when I locked my keys inside a couple of weeks ago. I could have done that with bullets, but it would have been a lot louder and more expensive glass replacement.

Eta: the paracord has enough give to make a strong hand cross draw easy too.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-16-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I carried a Disciple
    I do want a Disciple...knife.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thinking about my late friend Rob Simonich this afternoon.

This knife which we designed together is called the "Talisman" and is just over 6" OAL.

Carbon fiber and Talonite. This was the first project that Rob and I ever did together, about 20 years ago. It was named the Talisman because it was built and sent to me as a hurricane was heading for South FL where I resided on a barrier island.

Couple of quick iphone pix...

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  62.3 KB

(Neck sheath is carbon fiber concealex with bead chain.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thinking about my late friend Rob Simonich this afternoon.

This knife which we designed together is called the "Talisman" and is just over 6" OAL.

Carbon fiber and Talonite. This was the first project that Rob and I ever did together, about 20 years ago. It was named the Talisman because it was built and sent to me as a hurricane was heading for South FL where I resided on a barrier island.

Couple of quick iphone pix...

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  62.3 KB

(Neck sheath is carbon fiber concealex with bead chain.)
    Interesting and very nice knife. What is the blade length?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Interesting and very nice knife. What is the blade length?
    2.5" from tip to plunge line along the spine.
    Last edited by blues; 06-10-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    2.5" from tip to plunge line along the spine.
    Very Nice blues. What is that blade tip design called? Is it some sort of Japanese Tanto? Or Drop Point?
    Last edited by UNK; 06-11-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Very Nice blues. What is that blade tip design called? Is it some sort of Japanese Tanto? Or Drop Point?
    Pretty much a standard drop point style.

(I used to have a 16th or 17th century tanto from Japan but gifted it to maker Jerry Halfrich. True tantos have a lot in common with puukkos, Nordic and Scandinavian knives in terms of the blade profiles. Classic blades and some of my favorites.)

The guys were talking about svelte defensive blades in the pocket knife thread and it made me think of this thin little beauty from Brian Tighe I purchased many moons ago:

Name:  Tighe.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by blues; 07-26-2017 at 01:08 PM.

User Tag List