Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock 19 / Walther PPQ

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is all part of the "charm" of the PPQ. Walther introduces the PPQ M2, and acts like that is the product they will be supporting. Legacy PPQ and P99 magazines, of course, don't work. Then Walther does an about face and suggests they will keep making the original PPQ.
    I don't think Walther ever claimed that they would discontinue the M1, and I don't see how it's a problem that they're still making it instead of the M2 exclusively. Magazines are readily available for both. Though M1 > M2 so there was your first mistake
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Though M1 > M2 so there was your first mistake
    As I keep saying, this is not a FACT but a PREFERENCE. I keep seeing people actually claim (not sarcastically or jokingly) that the M1 is simply better in all cases, bar none, no matter who is the owner/shooter.
    As an example, I have an M2 as my EDC, and I have shot and owned the M1 - still prefer the button style mag release.

Sorry - this is the third time I've seen this claim in two days, and I see it a lot between here, DC and Waltherforums. It grinds my gears when I see it presented as fact, instead of preference. If it were fact, the M2 would never have been produced in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by JackRock View Post
    Sorry - this is the third time I've seen this claim in two days, and I see it a lot between here, DC and Waltherforums. It grinds my gears when I see it presented as fact, instead of preference. If it were fact, the M2 would never have been produced in the first place.
    Seems at some point those gears would be ground smooth ;-)

My preference is for the paddle release (VP9 in my case) ... despite having had much more time overall behind guns with the "American-style" button mag release. I don't fault Walther for offering both, though - I just wish the M1 was as available for people to try.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Seems at some point those gears would be ground smooth ;-)
    I do regular maintenance. I've just run so often into shooters who say that the ONLY POSSIBLE REASON for somebody to prefer buttons over paddles is that they simply haven't used paddles yet. I keep pointing out that I own both - and I still choose the button.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    My preference is for the paddle release (VP9 in my case) ... despite having had much more time overall behind guns with the "American-style" button mag release. I don't fault Walther for offering both, though - I just wish the M1 was as available for people to try.
    Oh, I get that. I do admit the M2 is easier to find. But that's usually a choice - perhaps a predisposition - of the gun stores, rather than Walther.

I do regular maintenance. I've just run so often into shooters who say that the ONLY POSSIBLE REASON for somebody to prefer buttons over paddles is that they simply haven't used paddles yet. I keep pointing out that I own both - and I still choose the button.
    I certainly felt like the monkey with the proverbial football when I first started using the paddle releases Now I prefer it because I find it less disruptive to my strong hand grip to drop the mag with trigger finger instead of thumb... but it did take quite a few reps for it to feel instinctive.

The real thing, though, is that it is great to have options! What works for one may not for another and some certainly lose sight of that!

I do admit the M2 is easier to find. But that's usually a choice - perhaps a predisposition - of the gun stores, rather than Walther.
    Agreed... selection in my area is usually limited to what is cheap and/or easy to sell :-/
    "A man's character is his fate."

I've just run so often into shooters who say that the ONLY POSSIBLE REASON for somebody to prefer buttons over paddles is that they simply haven't used paddles yet.
    I prefer paddles to buttons because:
    1. Less prone to inadvertent mag drops
    2. Trigger finger activation = no grip shift
    3. Ambidextrous

Assuming none of these provide advantages to you over buttons, what are your reasons for them over paddles? Not being inflammatory. I'm genuinely curious.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    I prefer paddles to buttons because:
    1. Less prone to inadvertent mag drops - I think I may have just gotten lucky, as I haven't had this without attributing it to myself (incorrect mag insertion)
    2. Trigger finger activation = no grip shift - I have to shift my grip, regardless. Probably has to do with hand shape/proportions. I also have some joint issues in my index finger, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    3. Ambidextrous - This is the only thing that leads me back to M1

Assuming none of these provide advantages to you over buttons, what are your reasons for them over paddles? Not being inflammatory. I'm genuinely curious.
    See my answers above in red. However, I will admit that the difference isn't so great that if my wife had gone to the P99 as she originally planned (she ultimately bought the PX4), I probably would have found a way to trade my M2 in for an M1, just to keep the magazines consistent. But since I don't have that element, I can stick with what feels better and that I prefer.

'cause the Glock, CZ, Sig, XDM, 3rd Gen S&W, 1911, 2011 and Beretta pistols I also shoot have a button release.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As I keep saying, this is not a FACT but a PREFERENCE. I keep seeing people actually claim (not sarcastically or jokingly) that the M1 is simply better in all cases, bar none, no matter who is the owner/shooter.
    As an example, I have an M2 as my EDC, and I have shot and owned the M1 - still prefer the button style mag release.

I purposefully put a winky face after my statement hoping to avoid that kind of reaction. Sorry about your gears, bro.

ETA: Re. last sentence. How often do facts matter at all when it comes to what guns people buy? Even if I could mathematically prove that M1 > M2, if you think people who tend to confuse the slide release with the trigger would buy the M1 instead then I've got a Taurus Curve and a box of RIP to sell you
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List