Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 / Walther PPQ

If you're seriously looking for a spare/training pistol, which you should be, then it should be the 19. I happen to like the PPQ quite a bit. However, you can't beat the fact that everyone and their brother who makes ancillary equipment does so for the Glock, not so much for the PPQ.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

If I had to choose one or the other I would choose the PPQ because of the ergos. I could never get comfortable with Glocks, try as I might.

If I was good with the G19, though, and planned to keep on with it I'd just get a spare.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Wife asked what I wanted for 65th Birthday. Told her another G19 gen 4. I shot a PPQ last year (and at same range a Sig P320) if I was to go with a NON Glock it would be a Sig P320 (9mm) SC---- Just a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Wife asked what I wanted for 65th Birthday. Told her another G19 gen 4. I shot a PPQ last year (and at same range a Sig P320) if I was to go with a NON Glock it would be a Sig P320 (9mm) SC---- Just a personal preference.
    Probably a good joke in there about different wishes for a 65th birthday versus a 25th birthday.

Back to the topic at hand. What makes the PPQ is the trigger, and in that regard it is delight to shoot. What holds the PPQ back is it isn't a system, accessories are fewer, and there is some weirdness that, while making it great to shoot once in your hand, makes the 19 far easier to live with. In particular, the Glock shape draws much easier for me.

I think the most likely contender to rival Glock and the 19 is the Sig 320. It is a system, doesn't suffer from Walther weirdness, and it is well supported in accessories, except perhaps holsters (which is just a matter of time). Time will tell whether the 320 is reliable, but so far mine are reliable, very accurate, easy to shoot and easily convertible to whatever configuration (caliber and size) you want. I have a full size and compact 9 with Robert Burke now for trigger jobs. My wish is for something that shoots like a CZ but I can treat like a Glock. The 320 is the best candidate so far, but only time will tell.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What PPQ accessories would you be looking for? Holster, sights, grip tape, magazines are all available. Still waiting on a slide plate with the punisher logo though.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

For starters, HD sights that don't rely on the OEM adjustment, and as a result, can be sprung loose by pressing down on the retaining screw. And, a factory magazine spring, that provides enough tension, that the M2 magazines won't fall out just looking at the release.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    What PPQ accessories would you be looking for? Holster, sights, grip tape, magazines are all available. Still waiting on a slide plate with the punisher logo though.
    10-8 makes sights for the PPQ. I also saw some people install a Pro Glo front with some engineering.

If you are apt to hit the mag release with your palm, I would get an extra selector spring to stiffen the release.

Could always buy the PPQ M1 with a paddle release like God intended.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

It is all part of the "charm" of the PPQ. Walther introduces the PPQ M2, and acts like that is the product they will be supporting. Legacy PPQ and P99 magazines, of course, don't work. Then Walther does an about face and suggests they will keep making the original PPQ.

Then, the spring on the magazine release on the M2 is so light, that I wouldn't carry the pistol and expect magazines to stay in the pistol. Walther apparently knows about it, but does nothing. There is a fix, get a spring out of an AR15 and trim it until you like the tension. Perfectly logical on Walter's part -- everyone has an AR.

Rear sight on the PPQ is secured by one small piece, that if you push it with even your finger nail, the sight literally ejects off the pistol. Suggested work around is to get HD sights for the PPS. Only problem is the rear PPS sight is finger loose in the dovetail, and relies on the set screw to keep it in place. There is the 10-8 sight, but no tritium.

As I said, delightful gun to shoot, but Walther weird.

Walther is very much a old school German company.
    As to the rear sight, I ran a P99 hard with that setup and never lost the rear sight. I did crack part of the slide rear sight dovetail off, but the sight never moved and never popped out.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List