Thread: interesting mk318 test

interesting mk318 test

Baring some of the obvious backyard unprofessional testing standards.. this guy did get some interesting results with Mk318 considering all test I've seen of the mk318 was complete fragmentation of the front 1/2

https://youtu.be/FNekOq9CBQA

He also has two other videos testing the hornady GMX and the Winchester RA556B fallow a similar testing pattern with I'd guess you'd say more expected results..

Nothing magical. Obviously the expansion/fragmentation threshold depends on impact velocity. The front part behaves like a very soft expanding bullet, that's why it fragments at high velocity, and it is still expanding at 2255 fps out of a 7.5" barrel. Or with a MV or 2910 fps out of a 14.5" it will have this expansión at 200 m, and a longer ranges it would probably still have lead left in the front portion.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Nothing magical. Obviously the expansion/fragmentation threshold depends on impact velocity. The front part behaves like a very soft expanding bullet, that's why it fragments at high velocity, and it is still expanding at 2255 fps out of a 7.5" barrel. Or with a MV or 2910 fps out of a 14.5" it will have this expansión at 200 m, and a longer ranges it would probably still have lead left in the front portion.
    Understood, but the reason I found it interesting was that I've not seen it expand like that before. I've seen several Mk318 tests and it either had sufficient velocity and complete fragmentation of the front 1/2 or not which resulted in no frag and acting like a FMJ.

I'm sure there are many official tests out there showing all the degrees or expansion/fragmentation vs impact velocity, but it is non PC to showcase expanding bullets for what they really are...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I'm sure there are many official tests out there showing all the degrees or expansion/fragmentation vs impact velocity, but it is non PC to showcase expanding bullets for what they really are...
    BTW, anyone with access to these bullets and reloading equipment or short barrels (to donwload muzzle velocity a bit) and some water filled jugs could make a pretty decent test.

I doubt it has any bearing on expansion vs. fragmentation, but I know that clear gel shows dramatically greater penetration than natural 10% gelatin at high velocities.

User Tag List