Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking a revolver

BrianB,

Are you stuck on getting a S&W? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if not Ruger revolvers are pretty much built like tanks. Just throwing that out there.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Yes pretty much a S&W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    BrianB,

Are you stuck on getting a S&W? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if not Ruger revolvers are pretty much built like tanks. Just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Yes pretty much a S&W.
    I LOVE my Smiths, but I have to say the Wiley Clapp GP100's are a worthy consideration.

The L frame will take a diet of .357 without to much trouble but they are heavier than the K frame. The K is a good packing revolver, I have a nice 3" K in .357. The N frame will soak up recoil better than the other two. Kind of depends on your intended use.

Post I did on another forum in regards to my thoughts for use of .357 magnum.

My opinion....take it for what its worth:

K frames-.38 special guns great to carry with high performance +p .38
    L frames-38 special guns great to carry with .357. They do not do well with a solid diet of .357 mag, especially the older ones.
    N frames-You want to shoot what you carry....this is what you need for both physical reasons of the shooter and the gun.

I was going to buy a 5" Model 27 recently. Nice gun. When I inspected it I saw the deepest flame cutting on the top of the frame I have ever seen. Yet, the gun was tight and in great shape otherwise. You would have destroyed a k or l to get to this. It was a former Texas lawman gun who obviously shot exclusively a lot of full house .357 magnum. I passed as the price was way above the wear level,but it gave me confidence in my opinion and love of model 27 and 28's for really getting the most of .357 Magnum.

You guys ever see me open carrying on a ranch someday, it will likely be with a 27 or 28. I have a ton of great K and L frames,but I generally carry good .38's in them. By the way,there is nothing wrong with modern high performance .38 loads.

Oh yea.....357 J frames. Only to have in case I can only find .357 magnum ammo In some kind of crisis. I would not shoot it in them at all.

Rugers.....shoot whatever you can handle.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I'm not gonna lie....the match champion is just a dead sexy gun. Something I have never said about a ruger handgun ever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Post I did on another forum in regards to my thoughts for use of .357 magnum.
    I like the post. K and L frame guns are just about the perfect launchers for .38Spl+P ammunition. The K frames are a little lighter and easier to carry and they balance nicely, the L frames have a little more weight up front (generally) and are real nice for shooting.

I sometimes pack a 3" K frame loaded with .38+p. I used to compete with it too, until I got my 686. The 686 is a good shootin' iron.

Oh yea.....357 J frames. Only to have in case I can only find .357 magnum ammo In some kind of crisis. I would not shoot it in them at all.
    I thought the purpose of J frames in .357 magnum was to convince shooters than G 23's with hot 155 grain loads weren't so bad after all.

L frames-38 special guns great to carry with .357. They do not do well with a solid diet of .357 mag, especially the older ones.
    This is gospel… as we discovered in 1990-91. The ones with the floating hand are particularly susceptible to "magnumitis"; you will start seeing throw-by (the cylinder not indexing properly between trigger pulls) fairly soon with nothing but .357s.

User Tag List