Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking a revolver

There was a time in life I loved feeling the sharp recoil of all my big bore magnums. I have numerous snub nose magnums. They are really cool. With that said I am paying a price now for those years of abusing my hands. I recently got a nice Highway patrolman shooter. With .38's it is simply pleasant and fun to shoot. No flinching, no drama, just roll that big cylinder around and getting easy hits. It is one of my "shooters" now. I have some stag grips on it, and it takes you back in time. For a fun gun, this is it. While the smaller guns are much more practical for carry, the highway patrolman is just a great belt gun and range shooter.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Those L revolvers were heavy. I would hate to carry one around all day. I agree. It seems like a heck of a round. Too bad sig didn't get it right with the 357Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    There was a time in life I loved feeling the sharp recoil of all my big bore magnums. I have numerous snub nose magnums. They are really cool. With that said I am paying a price now for those years of abusing my hands. I recently got a nice Highway patrolman shooter. With .38's it is simply pleasant and fun to shoot. No flinching, no drama, just roll that big cylinder around and getting easy hits. It is one of my "shooters" now. I have some stag grips on it, and it takes you back in time. For a fun gun, this is it. While the smaller guns are much more practical for carry, the highway patrolman is just a great belt gun and range shooter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I have always wanted a .357 revolver.
    I have looked at the K L and N frames Older models pre lock.
    The K was absolutely gorgeous no box 1000-1100. Pinned. Plum barrel.
    The Highway Patrolman was a little used it had a scratch on the cylinder but didn't look like it had ever been carried. 650.00

The L frame was stainless I think and looked rougher than both of the above for 650.00
    Then there was a N frame which I think was also 650.00.
    They were all 4" barrels and I really don't think I would go any longer.

So I don't know anything about revolvers. It's really an irrational desire. I'm probably going to mostly shoot .38's. Occasionally .357's maybe. Mostly bulls eye or I think steel target would be fun. I'm pretty sure it will be for range use only however I have always wanted to try deer hunting with a revolver.

The clerk was really helpful and very knowledgable. Would anybody here care to weigh in on this matter? +'s or -'s. to consider. Are the Prices in line?
    I started with a S&W Model 39 9x19, then graduated to a BHP for more ammo capacity, then jumped to a S&W Model 19 357, then moved up to a S&W Model 29 44, and then finally came back to the 45ACP which I had carried during my tour of duty working for Uncle Sam.

If I really wanted a 357 I would get the Desert Eagle pistol.

However I am over it.

The M28 is a horse pistol. After carrying mine a few times while hunting with a good holster and good belt I could see the positives of using a Sam Browne belt. That being said, it is immensely pleasant to shoot, even with very hot .357 defensive loads and/or Keith and Skelton loads.
    The price is a bit high but, if you plan to get it and keep it you're not really paying too much, you're just buying it a bit early. . I have a really hard time with dropping a grand on any mass production K frame. There are a few collectible s out there that I could see paying that kind of money for if I had the scratch and the itch.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The K was absolutely gorgeous no box 1000-1100. Pinned. Plum barrel.
    Yes I think I got my models mixed up. I'll check at gunbroker.
    Yes The one I said was really gorgeous was an L frame. It had checkering on top the orange front sight a target trigger and hammer. It was 1000-1100.
    Those L revolvers were heavy. I would hate to carry one around all day.
    Is it possible you confused models? It sounds like the $1000-$1100, checkered top, heavy gun was a model 27, which is an N frame (heaviest frame) and the finest finished gun Smith & Wesson made. That price may not be too out of line for a model 27, but I'm not up to speed on their current prices.

Nyeti would have a better idea on current model 27 prices.

That would be right on a 27.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Yes I said that in my second post. I think I got my models confused. I had a lot of previously unknown info thrown at me in a short period of time. Or that and old timers. I should have taken notes. I am pretty sure that is right an N frame. Right next to it was a highway patrolman that looked to be about the same size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Is it possible you confused models? It sounds like the $1000-$1100, checkered top, heavy gun was a model 27, which is an N frame (heaviest frame) and the finest finished gun Smith & Wesson made. That price may not be too out of line for a model 27, but I'm not up to speed on their current prices.

Nyeti would have a better idea on current model 27 prices.

Yes, the Highway Patrolman and the 27 share the same frame.

Its easy to get confused at all the models and frame sizes if its new to you. Just hoping to help clarify a bit. And, as nyeti said, that price isnt too far off for a model 27.

I regret selling the 27's I've had. The Highway Patrolman's are the plain, dull polish blue, which tended to leave me thinking of a 27 and their fine checkering all across the top and deep polished blue. Probably not any difference in how well each shoot.

The Model 28 Highway Patrolman is a utility version of the Model 27. They were much less expensive and more utilitarian and made for law enforcement duty guns. The model 27's were much better finished and came in some different barrel lengths. The highway patrolman were generally found in 4 and 6 inch. I love them in both model lengths. It is no secret that I think the Model 27 in its 3.5" model is the best looking and most purposeful revolver ever made. You pick one up and want to hunt bad guys-period. While the 3.5 is the most purposeful, the 5" 27 may be the classiest. I will not own a 27 in 4 or 6 inch. Those are how I like my 28's. Personal thing with not real logical meaning. My 4" Highway Patrolman is one of my favorites to just take out and shoot. Accurate, low recoils, and a serious revolver. When it comes to watching TV and having a revolver in hand to just enjoy...my 3.5" 27. Even better with a fine cigar.

This thread made me look up some older N-frames to see what's out there and the prices people are asking.

I think I found Nyeti's old friend on Gunbroker (though I doubt the cylinder is stock): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=481040568
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

User Tag List