Thread: Mossberg MVP LR

Mossberg MVP LR

Does anyone think this would make a good entry level long range rifle or is it just tacticool? I would need good glass of course. I would be using it for hunting, just 500 yard steel and paper target shooting.

http://moderngunneronline.com/2015/0...ssberg-mvp-lr/

I've been thinking of getting one. Nice to have a bolt gun that uses common mags with my carbine.

My experience with the Mossberg MVP Predator in 5.56 has been good. For the money paid it is a decent rifle. You can tell that Mossberg cut corners everywhere they could. The bolt is sloppy, trigger is mediocre, lots of plastic parts, etc. but the stock is nice and the fact that it takes AR mags makes it above the others in the same price point.

As far as accuracy, and what really impresses me about the rifle, is that it shoots really well. With my reloads, cold bore 5 shot groups are under an inch, and without the cold bore shot, groups hover around 1/2 MOA. I have shot mine to 450 and it is just a fun rifle.

For $700, which is where the LR seems to be priced, I think you are getting what you pay for. Good, reasonably priced fun.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Oils and Lotions SME
    I bought one for my daughter to use as a practice/hunting gun.

We managed to get a little less than 2 mags <25 rounds through the MVP Patrol before it failed to fire with what was seemingly a broken firing pin. All of the rounds fed poorly, it fed about 35-40% of the rounds fired without binding and having to slightly retract the bolt and try again.

I had to pay return shipping to their service center, and 3 emails, 2 facebook contact attempts and 2 phone messages were unanswered when I tried to find out the status and what was actually broken.

I did get the gun back in about 4 weeks without any documentation of what was wrong. It did feed and fire.

I am unimpressed.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

I have an earlier MVP version and I am very impressed with it. It has a low round count (only about 500 rds), but it has had zero issues. It is extremely accurate for what it is. I run a 1-4 on it.

I've heard that feeding isn't great feom the mag and the trigger is little less than desirable. Anyone k own of an aftermarket trigger for it?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasShooter View Post
    I've heard that feeding isn't great feom the mag and the trigger is little less than desirable. Anyone k own of an aftermarket trigger for it?
    The feeding on mine has not been perfect, about 95%, and I have only used the factory mag and a 20 round Colt mag. I think some have had issues with the Magpul mags.

Jard and Timney make an aftermarket trigger.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 05-05-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: corrected number
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List