Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 110: Jerk The Trigger

Week 110: Jerk The Trigger

Week 110: Jerk The Trigger

Results may be posted until June 1, 2015.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: 5, 10, 15, and 25 yards
    Target: NRA B8 - download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Gun mounted, finger on trigger
    Rounds Fired: 20
    Par time: 0.35 seconds

For this drill of the week, we are going to work on abruptly pressing the trigger straight back within a short time frame. Start with the gun mounted, aimed at the target, with finger on the trigger. Upon the start signal, complete the trigger press as quickly as you can. The goal will be to make the best hit you can, while making the gun fire within the 0.35 second par time, which is an approximation of the length of the beep itself.

Shoot five shots this way at each of the four distances: 5, 10, 15, and 25 yards. Add up your points at each distance (including Xs.) Overtime shots receive no points.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun used
    Points at 5 yards, number of overtime shots
    Points at 10 yards, number of overtime shots
    Points at 15 yards, number of overtime shots
    Points at 25 yards, number of overtime shots
    Total number of points out of the possible 200
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

For those with DA/SA pistols, should this be shot DA, SA, or DA first shot at each distance, SA the rest?

I don't own a shot timer (I know, I know), so when I try this, I guess I'll just be going for "as fast as I can," but even so, I suppose it still makes sense to do it as close to the "officially correct way" as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    For those with DA/SA pistols, should this be shot DA, SA, or DA first shot at each distance, SA the rest?

I don't own a shot timer (I know, I know), so when I try this, I guess I'll just be going for "as fast as I can," but even so, I suppose it still makes sense to do it as close to the "officially correct way" as possible.
    Ideal might be to run the whole thing DA for every shot, scored. Then the whole thing again SA for every shot, scored. Naturally w/o a timer it's a little different but the difference in targets might be instructive.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

As far as I am concerned you can choose how you want to break it down between DA and SA. DA is probably going to be a lot more challenging. Just note how you did it when you report your results.

I agree - if you don't have a timer, just press as fast as you can.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Ideal might be to run the whole thing DA for every shot, scored. Then the whole thing again SA for every shot, scored. Naturally w/o a timer it's a little different but the difference in targets might be instructive.
    That sounds like a reasonable approach. Heck, I might do it all 3 ways, although the difference between DA first, SA the rest and all SA might just get lost in the statistical noise of normal human variation anyway.

It is completely reasonable to complete the DA press in .25 with solid hits.
    Taking a break from social media.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

For par times, if you have a smart phone try this ap: IPSC Shot Timer (Beta) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.stimer&hl=en

It's free and it works pretty well. I used it for dry fire until I got my Shotmaxx.

Gun Gen 4 G17

All in PAR time.

7 yards 45 pts

10 yds 45 pts

15 yds 44 pts

25 yds 18 pts (!!!)

Total 152 pts

1st observation is that geometry is a harsh mistress and the wheels came off at 25 yds.

2nd is I shot it first earlier in the day at an IPSC target by mistake of a brain cramp. Except for 25 yds which were similarly abysmal, the 7, 10, and 15 yard groups of alphas were MUCH smaller; pretty much 10 ring sized and shot much faster. On the bullseye the shots were .31 .31 .31 .30; but on the IPSC silo they were .21 - .25 but tighter.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

M&P 9

All hits within PAR

5 yards: 49-4x
    10 yards: 49-3x
    15 yards: 44-0x
    25 yards: 24-0x
    Total: 166/200

In hindsight, I should have extended the timer delay from 3 to 4 or 5 seconds to allow more time to get settled in, especially at 15 and 25.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

Gen 3 G19 w/RMR

All hits in PAR

5 yards: 50-4X
    10 yards 50-3x
    15 yards 44-0X
    25 yards 38-0X

182 Total points.

All shots at 15 and 25 yards were centered but high.

Not great, but pretty good for me. Followe this with the Rangemaster core pistol skills test and the jodyh99 drill.

User Tag List