Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DeFoor's New Ameriglo Sight

Engineering wise I would worry that they had to make the front sight screw holding that on to the slide too short. Having the vial that low means less steel that you can thread and have the screw bit in to.

I'm also not a fan of front only tritium, but that ain't my gun so no skin off my butt
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Not sure I understand the whole tritium on the bottom thing.
    Ignoring low light, when you're shooting at speed many people work the trigger as soon as the dot is coming back within the rear notch. The location of the front dot can impact where shots go because of how quickly the sight is dropping compared to how long it is until the next shot breaks.

That's why I only paint the top half of the front sight orange, if I paint the whole thing, and I work the trigger as soon as I see orange - I end up with a high group.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Ignoring low light, when you're shooting at speed many people work the trigger as soon as the dot is coming back within the rear notch. The location of the front dot can impact where shots go because of how quickly the sight is dropping compared to how long it is until the next shot breaks.

That's why I only paint the top half of the front sight orange, if I paint the whole thing, and I work the trigger as soon as I see orange - I end up with a high group.
    Looks interesting, Also I would think the lower dot would lower the POI. I seem to focus on the dot instead of the top of the sight, and I end up shooting a little high (still within a 6-8 inch zone), but I have been adjusting my hold, and I am not sure thats the best thing to do. I have been looking for something with an all black rear and front dot where the dot would be POA/POI.

Maybe I should just buy a quality setup and focus on learning the POA/POI and be done with it. It seems lately my search on perfect sight setup has been distracting me from actually learning to shoot my current setup as effectively as I am able. Kinda like continually searching for the better mouse trap.

I am however Very Interested in any reviews posted.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    I would think the lower dot would lower the POI.
    A low mounted dot would raise the POI, if you're focusing on the dot.

Lowering the dot makes it appear within the rear notch sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    A low mounted dot would raise the POI, if you're focusing on the dot.

Lowering the dot makes it appear within the rear notch sooner.
    Exactly, and why Taran Tactical placed the FO dot as high as possible on the front sight. Like twenty years ago, I remember Louie Awerbuck cautioning me that the tritium dot on a shotgun's front sight often caused slugs to hit high, as shooters focused on the tritium dot (or really the ring around the tritium) and not the top edge of the front sight on a precision slug shot.

Putting tritium that low on the front sight, and planning to ignore it, seems as likely as having a waitress with a very low cut blouse on, bend over and expect you will ignore that.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Putting tritium that low on the front sight, and planning to ignore it, seems as likely as having a waitress with a very low cut blouse on, bend over and expect you will ignore that.
    I wonder? The tube doesn't have a ring around it, and looks like a shorter Heinie. Before my eye's took their latest jog South, most of my Glocks had .156 notch Heinie 3-Dot night sights. The front and read tubes didn't have a painted outline and were pretty easy to ignore unless in dim light. I did find it a royal pain in the butt when I needed to start painting the front sight and trying to stay out of the tube with the paint stick. That's what drove me back to Ameriglo Operators and recently to start testing their high-vis options.

Maybe I need to field test the waitress thing....

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Huh. I never thought I'd see Kyle putting tritium in his sights. When I trained with him in the past he seemed to regard tritium sights quite poorly. I vehemently disagree, of course, and I think a sane 3 dot option is still the best arrangement for work in low light. Hell, I even convinced Todd I was right on that.

It would be interesting to hear what caused. Mr. Defoor's evolution on tritium.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Engineering wise I would worry that they had to make the front sight screw holding that on to the slide too short. Having the vial that low means less steel that you can thread and have the screw bit in to.

I'm also not a fan of front only tritium, but that ain't my gun so no skin off my butt
    I would have to see a sectioned view of the sight but if the sight body is long enough the vial would be far enough forward to not interact with the screw.(Allowing the screw it's original length.)
    Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm also not a fan of <insert whatever here>, but that ain't my gun so no skin off my butt
    We need to teach the internet this attitude
    "A man's character is his fate."

Installed these sights on a G19 today and fired about 150 rds.
    -Fit and finish was as expected, good. They measure: F= .118 wide R=.149 notch.
    -They appear much like black/black and the tritium dot is not very noticeable. It's not real bright and there is no white outline, which I like.
    -POA/POI was good. I was only about 3" high at 25yds.
    Attachment 3336

Attachment 3337

Attachment 3338

Attachment 3339

Attachment 3340

Best thing was working out my trigger press issues with being left with a G19. More finger appears to help me. Overall, I like these sights and they will stay on the gun.

User Tag List