Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AIWB; How do You Know...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I'd love to know what they are. For now, I've got my compact Hi Power that's doing the job with eventual plans to get an alloy frame for it.
    1. External hammer for extra safety while holstering;
    2. Longer, heavier first pull that decreases the chance of an ND while drawing;
    3. Shorter grip relative to gun size, which many find to be the biggest impact on AIWB concealability;
    4. Externally visible firing pin safety that allows verification that the FPS is in the down position; and
    5. If you use an FS model, having the safety on while holstering adds an additional layer to what is already a very safe pistol because the safety completely deactivates the trigger and rolls the firing pin striker out of alignment with the firing pin and hammer.

My $.02 - buy a cheap nylon holster and spend a few weeks carrying AIWB in a variety of circumstances (dinner, driving, etc). If it works for you then you can spend more money on a better holster.

When it comes to AIWB, the overall length of the gun does make a difference IMO. I can hide a G17 up front but I find a G19 more comfortable (and a G26 even more so).

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    My $.02 - buy a cheap nylon holster and spend a few weeks carrying AIWB in a variety of circumstances (dinner, driving, etc). If it works for you then you can spend more money on a better holster.
    I'd recommend against a sausage sack nylon holster for AIWB, especially with a SFA.

At minimum - minimum a straight drop kydex or leather holster can give you an idea on placement and if the carry method will work for you. Barring that, I think JMS' ideas on cutting up a straight drop kydex holster to play around with different ideas. Then find or have made a kydex holster that is more specifically designed (JM or DSG).

But I strongly suggest you take Lon up on his offer! I would.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I'd love to know what they are. For now, I've got my compact Hi Power that's doing the job with eventual plans to get an alloy frame for it.
    Josh mentioned a couple. ## 1 and 2 on his lists are the reasons I only use TDA and LEM guns. As astutely noted in his #3, 92 has one of the shortest grips out of full sized guns out there. Combined with readily available flush fit metal mag base plates, it makes for a nice short full sized grip .
    Hammer and sights are worth additional mentioning. A D hammer fits flush with the back of a slide, reducing printing. The rear sight, which is one of most print-prone areas with AIWB, is relatively small and is offset forward relative to the back of the slide.

For me the full sized 92 prints less and conceals better than G19 or P30.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

But I strongly suggest you take Lon up on his offer! I would.

-Rob
    I've done just that. To be continued....
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The holster is on its way to Gardone. I'll throw the same offer to borrow it out to anyone who's thinking about AIWB with a Beretta. Just let me know and I'll have Gardone ship it to you when he's done with it instead of back to me. Kind of a pay it forward thing to the PF community. I'd rather it get used this way than just gather dust in my drawer.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The holster is on its way to Gardone. I'll throw the same offer to borrow it out to anyone who's thinking about AIWB with a Beretta. Just let me know and I'll have Gardone ship it to you when he's done with it instead of back to me. Kind of a pay it forward thing to the PF community. I'd rather it get used this way than just gather dust in my drawer.
    Agreed .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    class act Lon

Site Supporter
    Just as a note for GardoneVT (and anyone else trying out the full size 92's in AIWB mode), I found that small changes to ride height and cant made for very large changes in comfort, much more so than what I've experienced with with the G17 or M&P FS. This was on a JMCK, so my point is not to give up immediately if it doesn't quite work the first time you try it on.

As with all things AIWB, your mileage may vary.

User Tag List