Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB; How do You Know...

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Thanks for the responses all. Since the fellow shooters I know think 25 yards is impossible to shoot with a handgun, whats a good holster to pick up for an AIWB first timer?
    I can't recommend the JM Custom Kydex enough for a full-sized gun.

I used it for a P226, which is similar enough to what you've got. It worked quite well with a P30 as well. Extra tuck is necessary for me for me. Split loops for belt attachment.

I'm 5"8, 165lbs, 34" waist, minor gut.

I'm definitely a bit bigger than you (6'3", 225lbs), but I have no problem concealing a 92A1 in one of Tony's AIWB holsters. Like sboers, I too would recommend the extra tuck option.

JM Custom Kydex is your friend. Even if, in the worst-case scenario, you find that you cannot make it work, you can resell it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    ... and I've never found a way to check any carry method, but buy a holster. Maybe you could find a friend to borrow one from?
    Seriously.

If you've elected to go with that Beretta, you may have to reconcile to yourself the fact that what you buy may not work out.

And...that if what you buy doesn't work out, you'll have slim chances of selling it on the 2nd-hand market IOT defray your costs. It's a risk you'll have to accept, prior to purchase, since there's little to no way to mitigate or avoid it.

Dunno how likely it'll be that you can borrow-for-tryout another person's 92 AIWB holster, so you may simply be stuck with buying and spinning the Wheel of Destiny

I considered my first AIWB holster to be sacrificial. Turned out I was freakin Karnak on that score...so I modded the hell out of it (cut, padded, drilled, reshaped) and experimented/practiced using those mods. Allowed me to figure out which AIWB holster had features that mimicked (or closely-enough) my mods. Didn't carry AIWB until I had the right holster.

Ok me your address. I've got a JMCK AIWB I'll send you to try. It should work. I've had my Elite II in it before. Right handed, 1.5" hard loops. Extra tuck.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

If you have a SIRT to play with, or if you have a Glock to wear dry and around the house, I've got a Keeper for a G17 I'll loan you. I've recently switched to a VP9, so I only use it when playing with my SIRT, but I carried a 19 in it for the last several years. To me, the best part about the Keeper is the versatility in adjusting height and cant. Little tweaks go a long way, and it took me a few months of small adjustments to really find the perfect spot, but you can get the general idea in a few weeks.

I can make a cheap Uncle Mikes clip holster work for SIRT reps, so I have no issue loaning it out for a month or two.

Site Supporter
    My CCC shaggy works quite well with my 92FS compact. Not the most comfortable when I sit down, because occasionally I get the ol "gun muzzle in the testicle" thing if I sit down wrong. That sucks and is basically the reason I prefer 3:30 to 4:00 carry. (with a G34 no less)

I'm in your boat, if not a little shorter and thinner. 5'9" 145lbs with a 30" waist. The Beretta 92 compact conceals well...though not as well as some of the thinner options perhaps, but with a decent belt and a good AIWB holster, you'd be surprised. You might need to up a shirt size and wear a louder or more complex pattern (dark colors, checked patterns) but it's not too bad. Throw in the fact that nobody is ever looking at your junk to see if you are carrying and you'll likely be just fine.

CCC, JMCK, or Dark Star would have what you're looking for. Buy once, cry once. There is seriously no comparison between an AIWB holster that was purpose built compared to a straight drop IWB holster from Bianchi (I tried this before. absymal failure)

I'd try a Dale Fricke Archangel , lowered, with a Butt Tuck adapter, if I were you. I use a standard Archangel with my everyday 92G... But, I'm 6' 265lbs with a 42x30 jeans size. If Dale doesn't list the Brigadier, call him and see. He can do amazing stuff.

Dark star made a universal 92 holster for me that I've put every Beretta I own in and they've all fit, rail or no rail, Brigadier slide or standard, and my railed compact. Ride height is adjustable. It's a LOT of AIWB holster for the money.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Dark star made a universal 92 holster for me that I've put every Beretta I own in and they've all fit, rail or no rail, Brigadier slide or standard, and my railed compact. Ride height is adjustable. It's a LOT of AIWB holster for the money.
    I've never used one of his larger holsters, but his J-Frame holsters are awesome. I've tried many other holsters, his are (by a wide margin) the best.

User Tag List