Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much trigger finger?

I just passed a Gen 4 Glock over to my wife. It shoots left for me and her (and she is a lefty). I think Glock pistols have more issues than most with hitting left -- both because of the harder trigger to manipulate straight back and something to do with Glock pistols. Isn't the notch on the Heinie rear Glock sight offset slightly right by design?

Some eyes also work differently. I typically need a slight right correction on the rear sight of ALL my pistols, and a slight left on long guns. Been like that for twenty years. Previously, I needed a slight left correction on handguns and long guns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

The Glock trigger being kinda wedged shaped doesn't help things IMHO, easy to press into the side of the trigger on that design
    Exactly. And having a short trigger finger makes that worse. Even with my Bowie grip reductions, I push a bit to the left at speed. Its worse on an unmodified Gen 2 or 3, about the same on a Gen 4.

One of the agencies that I worked for issued the G21 and G30 pistols. It was a constant struggle for shooters with average to small hands to effectively handle the gun. A good grip and proper trigger finger placement shouldn’t be competing interest, but that’s the cards we were dealt.

The most effective compromise for the overwhelming majority of officers was to make some concession with their grip. Without good trigger control you can’t hit well. Without a good grip and a proper index, you can’t hit well quickly and repeatedly.

It is what it is, if you can’t switch to a better fitting platform.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 04-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I can't tell you where the sweet spot will be, but I have suggestions on what to try, and I know if you haven't found it. I also note when people have a gun that is just too big for them.

The Glock trigger being kinda wedged shaped doesn't help things IMHO, easy to press into the side of the trigger on that design
    IIRC Apex has a FLAT faced Glock replacement trigger in the works. Even though I've not had much fun with aftermarket bits other than sights, I'd like to try one of those.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ok so if more finger doesn't help and the I shoot the gun fine left handed what do I need to do to correct me from shooting left? I have a feeling that using more finger will solve it but just in case, what else should I try?
    This idea may not have any support from lots of smart shooters but it was past on to me when I was learning the Glock trigger seriously and it involves your strong hand pinkie. Or actually it dis-involves your small hand pinkie. The force of the strong hand grip pressure is high right below the trigger guard. Not down on the low grip where the pinkie sits.

Choke that bitch by the throat not by the ass. It helped me. Many years later I taped a shooter's strong side pinkie straight like they broke it and had it in a splint. It cut down their push left and got them thinking about how they grip their pistol.

I think this modern ISO method I'm just starting to work on seriously which points the elbows more outward and not so much downward; creates a lot of inward pressure on the pistol from the left and right. This I believe is what Surf was describing in his descriptions of grip. I didn't get it then until another shooter live showed it to me.

This could have an affect on this also.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    there are lots of factors involved in obtaining a straight back trigger press. One thing that often helps right handed Glock shooters is curling the tip of the finger back inward instead of trying of pull straight back. This curl, depending on finger size, often allows the part of the finger actually resting on the trigger to move straighter. Keeping the tip of the finger straight and pressing often pushes the trigger to the left. The only part of the trigger finger than really matters is the portion actually resting on the trigger, unless the tip is hitting the frame.
    I found this to be the case with a lot of different handguns. It's not so much "more finger" for me, as it is "provide better leverage" not necessarily greater leverage.

I found that when trying to rapidly dry fire my glock with the rubber band in the ejection port, the use of the pad and keeping the pad straight across the trigger led me to have less effective leverage on the trigger than if I just allowed it to curl inwards. For me, pressing the trigger "straight back" was actually more detrimental to my accuracy. Allowing my trigger finger to curl inwards doesn't make my sights move as much when squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This idea may not have any support from lots of smart shooters but it was past on to me when I was learning the Glock trigger seriously and it involves your strong hand pinkie. Or actually it dis-involves your small hand pinkie. The force of the strong hand grip pressure is high right below the trigger guard. Not down on the low grip where the pinkie sits.

Choke that bitch by the throat not by the ass. It helped me. Many years later I taped a shooter's strong side pinkie straight like they broke it and had it in a splint. It cut down their push left and got them thinking about how they grip their pistol.

I think this modern ISO method I'm just starting to work on seriously which points the elbows more outward and not so much downward; creates a lot of inward pressure on the pistol from the left and right. This I believe is what Surf was describing in his descriptions of grip. I didn't get it then until another shooter live showed it to me.

This could have an affect on this also.
    I just messed around with this and it helped reinforce the "crushing" effect I need to have with my support hand. I will also look into the more elbows up thing you described. i am really hoping I can get it dialed in this next range trip and that it is mostly just a trigger finger issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IIRC Apex has a FLAT faced Glock replacement trigger in the works. Even though I've not had much fun with aftermarket bits other than sights, I'd like to try one of those.
    This would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ok so if more finger doesn't help and the I shoot the gun fine left handed what do I need to do to correct me from shooting left? I have a feeling that using more finger will solve it but just in case, what else should I try?
    Speaking only of accuracy, I don't find that my finger placement matters in the least, but obviously other people do. To answer your question above, push on the frame with your support side thumb. It's just a trick, but I've taught it to 100's of people, and most found it to work. I don't know who came up with it originally, but it wasn't me. Eventually you will outgrow it. Or not. But either way, it usually helps. Experiment with how much force to use, but that should work itself out pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Speaking only of accuracy, I don't find that my finger placement matters in the least, but obviously other people do. To answer your question above, push on the frame with your support side thumb. It's just a trick, but I've taught it to 100's of people, and most found it to work. I don't know who came up with it originally, but it wasn't me. Eventually you will outgrow it. Or not. But either way, it usually helps. Experiment with how much force to use, but that should work itself out pretty fast.
    Thank you. I have alot to try, I especially want to explore trigger finger placement and I want to focus on "crushing" with my.support hand.

User Tag List