Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD SBS Benelli Setup?

I do have some of the 00 FC on hand that I could try. What should the goal be for BC patterning at what distance? Is there a standard?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I do have some of the 00 FC on hand that I could try. What should the goal be for BC patterning at what distance? Is there a standard?
    I'm certainly no expert, but generally tighter is better. Having said that, this is your HD setup for your locale, so whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. The 1B from your longer barrel did, the 1B from the 14" did not.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm certainly no expert, but generally tighter is better. Having said that, this is your HD setup for your locale, so whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. The 1B from your longer barrel did, the 1B from the 14" did not.
    See, that's what I'm wondering. Maybe my fuzzy or lack thereof was wrong. For my house, the longest shot possible is probably 10-15 yards. The #1 load is probably working pretty well for that distance. Do I need a setup that will pattern buck inside 3" @ 25yds? I'm thinking not. If the fight is known to be outside the house then grab a rifle. If the fight moves from inside to outside (BG fleeing with child/wife or something) then a slug selected from the side saddle should address that, right? Am I thinking about this all wrong? The problem here is I don't know what I don't know and with patrol carbines being more common/popular, there's not a lot of good shotgun info out there that I can find.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I treat my shotgun like a two handed pistol that shoots 8 projectiles per trigger press instead of 1.
    If my 20 yard pistol "Bill Drill" group size is 8" (IDPA -0), then I expect the same or better from my shotgun pattern at that range.

I wouldn't get too wound up over a few #1B pellets missing and going downrange, out of a 14" barrel those pellets are going to shed velocity and energy really quickly.

In for the usual "lawyer attached to every missed shot" banter...
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-04-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    So I patterned the 14" barrel with the #1 FC load this weekend and wow, that 4.5" of barrel makes a huge difference! Here's the #1 FC load through my former 18.5" setup @ 25 yds:

And then 2 rounds (I couldn't believe the spread, thought it was a fluke so I fired a second round) of the exact same #1 FC load through the 14" gun @ 25yds:

By contrast, though, at 10 yards the FC load is pretty much a slug out of the 14" gun:

Part of me thinks that in absence of a useful pattern, or rather, the sporadic nature of the patterns being produced by the 14" barrel, that I might be better served by loading all slugs. Inside 10 yds, the buckshot is acting like a slug anyway and beyond 20 yards, the slug would probably be a lower liability vs that massive pattern and the possibility of an errant pellet with the buck load.

Additional thoughts? I live in a subdivision in a rural area. 1 acre lots, but houses are still probably only 15-25 yds apart. The obvious concern with the slug is overpenetration. I suppose that even if the buck load acts like a slug up close, it still has reduced mass and therefore lower (over)penetration capabilities.
    What choke are you using?
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I was patterning some FC #00 (LE13300) through my 18.5" M4 at 20 and 30 yards yesterday.
    At 20Y all pellets were in the upper 1/2 of an IPSC A zone (6" x 6").
    At 30Y I was getting 5-6 pellets in the upper A and 2-3 pellets 1" or so into the C and lower A (probably around an 8"-10" group).
    One surprise was the Winchester Military #00, it's usually horrible but even at 30Y all pellets were inside the C zone on a IPSC target.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

If anyone in the SW Ohio area is interested, they had two SBS Benelli's at the AIM Surplus showroom in Monroe as of 3:30 this afternoon. $649 with rifle sights, one with PG stock one with standard stock, both with old-style Surefire forends. Not sure if they were M1s or M2s.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I treat my shotgun like a two handed pistol that shoots 8 projectiles per trigger press instead of 1.
    If my 20 yard pistol "Bill Drill" group size is 8" (IDPA -0), then I expect the same or better from my shotgun pattern at that range.

I wouldn't get too wound up over a few #1B pellets missing and going downrange, out of a 14" barrel those pellets are going to shed velocity and energy really quickly.

In for the usual "lawyer attached to every missed shot" banter...
    In an urban/suburban environment, I'd rather have a piece of #1 buck go astray than a 1oz slug that goes through All The Things.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List