Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 for Coyote?

Site Supporter

.223 for Coyote?

Saw two coyotes in the yard this morning, heading towards the chicken tractors where the little meat chickens are. The layers (not let out yet this morning) started to alarm. Opening the window and yelling sent them on their way but I am thinking that will not work all the time. I've seen them out during the day down the road from the house.

Got a 14.5" AR for home defense, so I am thinking that is the go to for when they come looking for meat again. All the chickens are with in 50 yards of the house, maximum shot would be 75 yards.

Any recommendations for round of choice would be appreciated. I've thought about the shotgun and buckshot but thinking I need to reach out a little too far for that.

Getting a small game tag next time in town, if they are killing livestock you can take them without a tag but you cannot keep the carcass.

Cheers,
    Cookie Monster

Anything works for coyotes, seriously. I've killed numerous coyotes over the years with plain vanilla 55gr SPs since back in the day that was about all we had outside of ball ammo.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

This presents an opportunity -- now you "need" a suppressor, NVG stuff, and stuff I haven't thought of.

Chuck is right, they all fall to ball, although we use Ranger 64 SP on a dedicated hunt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I like the SPs that are not on Doc's list, since they have limited penetration, little chance of a dangerous shoot through, and very low ricochet potential. They also tend to be rather accurate.
    www.agiletactical.com

The few I've shot around my grandparents' house died promptly when shot with Federal Fusion 62gr .223.

5.56 55 gr GMX does wonders on em,DRT.

Yup, any .223/5.56 round will work, but like I said, one has to be careful. In some of the areas that I have hunted it would be possible to put a GMX through a coyote and have that bullet travel hundreds of yards afterwards, if not farther. Just something to think about.
    www.agiletactical.com

Yep, .223 works pretty good...
    Last edited by WDW; 04-29-2015 at 02:34 PM.

If you are worried about over penetration, use something loaded with a 55 grain Vmax. They fragment nicely on soft hides but will penetrate plenty well to take out a coyote.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've used plain old 55 gr SP like Chuck said. It was what was available easily in the 80's when I was shooting stuff with AR's.

Not great for deer or cottontails, but great for coyotes and jack rabbits.

User Tag List