Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .223 for Coyote?

In the case of the OP, taking coyotes around the farm stock can almost be a hostage rescue type shot, wouldn't want to miss and clip one of the animals, or shoot through with a bonded or monolithic bullet either. When I was shooting a lot of coyotes for farmers back in the day all we had was 55gr ball or 55gr SPs, or BTHP match loads, but this high school kid couldn't afford those match loads even if they had been on the shelf to buy.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Saw two coyotes in the yard this morning, heading towards the chicken tractors where the little meat chickens are. The layers (not let out yet this morning) started to alarm. Opening the window and yelling sent them on their way but I am thinking that will not work all the time. I've seen them out during the day down the road from the house.

Got a 14.5" AR for home defense, so I am thinking that is the go to for when they come looking for meat again. All the chickens are with in 50 yards of the house, maximum shot would be 75 yards.

Any recommendations for round of choice would be appreciated. I've thought about the shotgun and buckshot but thinking I need to reach out a little too far for that.

Getting a small game tag next time in town, if they are killing livestock you can take them without a tag but you cannot keep the carcass.

Cheers,
    Cookie Monster
    Any ballistic tip will work at that distance. Go for the neck/shoulder.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Any ballistic tip will work at that distance. Go for the neck/shoulder.
    Ballistic tip, Vmax, etc are all good varmint bullets but if the AR being used in this scenario has a 1-7 twist, I would stay with a 55 grain or heavier bullet. The lighter stuff may not stabilize well in that fast of a twist, or will come apart before hitting the target.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yup, any .223/5.56 round will work, but like I said, one has to be careful. In some of the areas that I have hunted it would be possible to put a GMX through a coyote and have that bullet travel hundreds of yards afterwards, if not farther. Just something to think about.
    True,it did punch through both sides,I'm really impressed with the 53 gr VMAX due to it's high B.C.,also take a close look at the 60 gr VMAX and SP.

The 55 and 60gr VMAX/TAP bullets are rather explosive
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the good advise.

Got some Varmint rounds on the way to try out but will stick with the ball stuff that I got the zero on.

No returns on the coyotes, but added some hearing protection on top of the safe and an extra patrol or two in the mornings.

Cheers,
    Cookie Monster

User Tag List