Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: G19 with RMR06 and KKM compensator

G19 with RMR06 and KKM compensator

After seeing benefits of RDS use on duty pistols, a number of officers around here had sub-compact back-up (BUG) and compact off-duty pistols equipped with RDS’s (primarily S&W Shield, G26, S&W M&P9c, and G19). Interestingly, many felt the compact pistols with shorter slides were actually easier to shoot accurately and rapidly with the RDS compared to the larger duty pistols. With an RDS equipped pistol, there is no “sight radius”, so there is no accuracy benefit to having a pistol with a longer slide. In addition, many end-users report that when shooting rapidly, it is easier to track the RDS dot shot-to-shot when mounted on a shorter slide. As a result, many shooters who previously used long slide, iron sighted pistols like the G34/G35 to benefit from the enhanced sight radius on demanding shots requiring precision accuracy have now found they can use a smaller pistol like a G19 with an RDS and shoot just as accurately with the smaller pistol as they previously would with longer iron sighted handguns. Going one step further, folks found that with a compensator installed, they can have a compact handgun that is softer shooting, lighter weight, and offers better accuracy than their previous iron sighted long slide pistols. As a result, late last year, we began testing the use of RDS equipped G19's with KKM compensators attached. Note that this is described in our 5 yr updated RDS test report.

The KKM compensated G19's have a bit more blast than a stock G19, but not anything to complain about. In slow fire at 25 yds, they shoot just as accurately as any other G19 with a match barrel--I shot two KKM compensated G19's yesterday slow fire at 25 yds and got a 100-5x & 99-3x. Where the KKM compensated G19's shine is in rapid fire, they are slightly faster, but more importantly result in much tighter shot groups, especially at longer distances. I am a huge fan of the DOW; a couple of recent DOW allowed quantifiable data to be gleaned from shooting the same drill with a G19 with both a KKM compensated barrel and a non-compensated KKM barrel: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....06-Three-Bills and https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ek-108-GM-Test. The compensated G19 was consistently faster to shoot--particularly at longer ranges, generally offered better accuracy, and had noticeably tighter groups. When shot 10 rounds slow fire at 25 yds on an NRA B8 target, the KKM comp barrel shot 99-3x, the KKM standard barrel shot 100-3x.

The G19 with KKM compensator is the same size as the previously used G34's and fit into standard G34 holsters, including the excellent Safariland ALS 6354DO.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc, that's some good info. Out of curiosity or maybe ignorance, I wondered if the comp presented any issues in lowlight with regard to increased muzzle flash?

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the review!

A couple of quick questions:

1) What magwell are you running on the 19s? I've tried a couple and can't find one I like.

2) How is the comp attached? Threaded and screwed on? Is not having it a deal breaker? I'd deal with shipping it out of state and permanently attaching one (I'm in CA) if the juice was really worth the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    2) How is the comp attached? Threaded and screwed on? Is not having it a deal breaker? I'd deal with shipping it out of state and permanently attaching one (I'm in CA) if the juice was really worth the squeeze.
    I assume the comp has to be threaded, screwed on, and secured with set screws, and that it has to be removable to get the barrel out of the slide during a field strip. Unless I am missing something (quite possible as I am on my third straight day of eighteen-hour work days), the comp attachment cannot be permanent if one is to be able to pull the barrel from the slide.

As for the test data, I must say I am not surprised based on my experience with Hybra-Ported SP-101 revolvers.

Interesting...I wonder effective of a ccw they would be.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

As effective as your carry gear. I was on the phone with Doc over the weekend, he was carrying that blaster AIWB

Han Solo approves.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I'm so glad you shared this Doc!
    I really like the idea of compensators but I've never invested in one, mostly because of a feeling of "tacti-cool-ness" I wanted to avoid. This info really pushes me toward giving it a try.
    It doesn't hurt that I already have an excellent Fricke seraphin for my G34 MOS.

This is very interesting information--I have the sense that if testing keeps working out what you are describing might be the future of the pistol. Thanks for the information and please continue to keep up informed.

I hate to be all shadowy and what-not, but one of the guys Doc and I know who is testing this same set-up is a no BS tier 1 good guy with massive experience overseas shooting very real bad guys, and lots of them. It's a for real option.

This info has just made me wish I had gotten off my butt back in 2006 when I came up with the non-comped idea for this pistol and gave it a try. My hold-up was only that work wouldn't have allowed me to use it. Now that I can do what I want, that's not an issue.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I tried the Glock 19 w/ MRDS and comped barrel a few years back. Mine was a Jaeger comp. I couldn't get it to run reliably with non +P ammo. I was using it for 3 gun. I ditched it cuz I don't reload. What kind of ammo are you guys using with this set up? Does it run 100% with good ball ammo? I tried a bit of everything - Lawman, Fiocchi, Blaser Brass, Federal. Nothing ran 100%. Loved the concept, just couldn't get it to work without reloading my own.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List