Thread: Sig P220 guys: What do you think of this roll pin?

Site Supporter

Sig P220 people: What do you think of this roll pin?

Maybe it's OCD, but is this protruding too much? I'm thinking maybe it's sticking out a bit more than it was the last time I shot it. This is a P245.

Name:  IMG_3898.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  21.3 KBName:  IMG_3900.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  21.1 KBName:  IMG_3901.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  39.6 KB

I looked for replacements, and it looks like the old-school inner/outer pins are discontinued. Scheisse.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-11-2018 at 12:45 AM.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Maybe it's OCD, but is this protruding too much? I'm thinking maybe it's sticking out a bit more than it was the last time I shot it. This is a P245.

Name:  IMG_3898.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  21.3 KBName:  IMG_3900.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  21.1 KBName:  IMG_3901.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  39.6 KB

I looked for replacements, and it looks like the old-school inner/outer pins are discontinued. Scheisse.
    It's definitely your OCD. I've worked a lot of P220s and P245s over the years. If it bugs you too much, you can gently tap it back in with a taper punch so that it helps to flare the end of it. If you replace them, get an armorer to do it, or watch a video on it. Make sure the gap on the outter pin faces the 12 o'clock position, and the inner pin faces the 6 o'clock position as they are in the photos you posted.
    Last edited by Galbraith; 10-11-2018 at 07:07 AM.

I'd add, if you don't already have one, buy a proper roll pin punch, in the proper size. The roll pin punch has a dimple that rests inside the hollow of the pin, and does less damage to the pin, and is less likely to slip off in use.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod5551.aspx

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    It's definitely your OCD. I've worked a lot of P220s and P245s over the years. If it bugs you too much, you can gently tap it back in with a taper punch so that it helps to flare the end of it. If you replace them, get an armorer to do it, or watch a video on it. Make sure the gap on the outter pin faces the 12 o'clock position, and the inner pin faces the 6 o'clock position as they are in the photos you posted.
    That's honestly what I wanted to hear. Thanks. I've read some threads on Sigtalk about a loose pin allowing the breech block to move and fatigue the metal in the slide. So, it raised an eyebrow. May tap it back in, as you said. Will probably order some roll pins (now that I have the source) just in case.

Thanks again.

I’d tap it back in with a proper roll pin punch (pretty sure it’s 1/8th but my manuals are still in storage after the move) because you need to see if they move again. If it does, it’s likely that the pins are broken in the middle. This is actually pretty common with classic SIGs that are dry fired a lot without snap caps.

Replacing the pins isn’t hard, but there are pitfalls if you don’t know what to do. Bruce Gray makes an excellent armorer video that everyone with a classic SIG should own, IMO.

Those roll pins are a wear item and SIG recommended they be changed every 5,000 rounds at the last armorer course I attended (many years ago and long expired).
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-12-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    If it does, it’s likely that the pins are broken in the middle. This is actually pretty common with classic SIGs that are dry fired a lot without snap caps.
    Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. Thanks for the tip on the Bruce Gray video--I will pick that up along with some extra roll pins. I don't dry fire it a ton... but I have.

User Tag List