Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John McPhee on Trigger Control

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Exactly! But instead, people worry about all sorts of other things that they think makes them a better shooter.
    As you know, Robbie calls his shots before he presses the trigger, solely on his sight picture. His method depends upon perfect trigger control.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I took McPhee's class today and he did the breaker bar demonstration. It was powerful to watch. He essentially changed my whole grip and told me I'd been shooting nearly one handed my entire life. The whole 60/40 or 70/30 and a host of other stuff I've been taught over the years was tossed out the window for a much simpler, much stronger, much more stable grip. I wish I'd had this class twenty years ago instead of gathering bad habits to break.

I'll do an AAR at some point. At the moment my cold medicine is wearing off and the fever is making me grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I took McPhee's class today and he did the breaker bar demonstration. It was powerful to watch. He essentially changed my whole grip and told me I'd been shooting nearly one handed my entire life. The whole 60/40 or 70/30 and a host of other stuff I've been taught over the years was tossed out the window for a much simpler, much stronger, much more stable grip. I wish I'd had this class twenty years ago instead of gathering bad habits to break.

I'll do an AAR at some point. At the moment my cold medicine is wearing off and the fever is making me grumpy.
    mind posting a picture of this new grip? Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    mind posting a picture of this new grip? Appreciate it!

He actually wants me to get my left hand a bit higher and I'm working on it, but due to past injuries its taking some effort on my part to rotate my wrist enough.

Can you show the other side or a top down view maybe? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're right hand is doing?

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Thumbs forward grip, that's certainly revolutionary.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Thumbs forward grip, that's certainly revolutionary.
    I don't know that anyone claimed it was revolutionary. What was "revolutionary" for me was the explanation of grip strength and how he worked with us to make it make sense and be intuitive. On the PD range it was always "70% left hand, 30% right hand" or some other abstract concept that never really clicked. When you hold the pistol and he pushes it, pulls at your forearms, etc. it becomes very easy to see how much grip you need, how much push/pull, how much pressure with the heels of your palm, etc. Holding the rear thumb up and neutral was also new for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't know that anyone claimed it was revolutionary. What was "revolutionary" for me was the explanation of grip strength and how he worked with us to make it make sense and be intuitive. On the PD range it was always "70% left hand, 30% right hand" or some other abstract concept that never really clicked. When you hold the pistol and he pushes it, pulls at your forearms, etc. it becomes very easy to see how much grip you need, how much push/pull, how much pressure with the heels of your palm, etc. Holding the rear thumb up and neutral was also new for me.
    I get that the quality of police firearms instruction is often sadly lacking.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I get that the quality of police firearms instruction is often sadly lacking.
    PD training is a numbers game. Our range is better than most, we at least get 2-3 in-services a year, etc. What you don't get is specific coaching. You get generic one size fits all advise and as long as you're qualifying with no problems you don't get much more attention. You're deemed good enough and the people who are struggling get what individual attention there is. Our range cranks out competent shooters, but once you get to that level of competency its up to you to try and improve further. I am certainly not trying to bash our range staff, when you've got as many officers as we do its impossible for everyone to get one on one time. As such, we just don't get these little tweaks that an expert coach one-on-one can give you.

And you lay out several reasons why the vast majority of police firearms training is in fact sadly lacking.

Good on you for going the self improvement route.
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List