Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: John McPhee on Trigger Control

I've seen that demo by that instructor in person, and I couldn't help but think of this guy the e tire time I was seeing it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

However, I did have several good takeaways from the class, in spite of my disagreement with that particular demo, and a few other issue.

IMHO using a tool in that manner to make that point is an issue in that it will disguise a lot of the other variables present when someone mashes the trigger with their finger.

Trigger finger placement is important, and can lead to steering the gun off target as the trigger is pulled, while grip can compensate for this to a great degree, pulling the trigger poorly is still doing it wrong.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I would like to talk more about this side to side pressure that surf was talking about. I feel like I never paid attention to what I was doing with my hands besides gripping tightly.

Here are my questions:
    Why side to side and not just grip everything as hard as possible
    Should the thumbs be doing anything? I keep my strong hand thumb neutral so I get slide lock. I used to use my support hand thumb to push into the frame but think that it's why I was pushing shots to the right..

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I would like to talk more about this side to side pressure that surf was talking about. I feel like I never paid attention to what I was doing with my hands besides gripping tightly.

Here are my questions:
    Why side to side and not just grip everything as hard as possible
    Should the thumbs be doing anything? I keep my strong hand thumb neutral so I get slide lock. I used to use my support hand thumb to push into the frame but think that it's why I was pushing shots to the right..
    He told me that my strong hand thumb was hurting my shooting. I was squeezing so hard I was pushing my support hand down as I shot and if the string was long enough had to reposition. I never knew I did that until the video showed me. He recommended I shoot a pistol like I shoot a carbine, with a high neutral right thumb (like you're hovering near the safety on an M-16/M-4) to resolve that and to get the left hand higher while still allowing the Sig to lock back. I've started shooting that way with Sig or Glock, and also found it makes it easier to shoot with two eyes open as an unexpected side benefit. The thumb hovers in the way of the left eye enough that my brain concentrates even more on the right as it realizes a body part is blocking the left. I have been shooting both eyes open for awhile but this just made it faster, especially with guns without a high contrast front sight.

Note that this was tailored for my particular shooting style and to overcome my issues. It was not a blanket endorsement that everyone should shoot that way. That was one thing I really liked about his class, he tailored feedback to you specifically.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    He told me that my strong hand thumb was hurting my shooting. I was squeezing so hard I was pushing my support hand down as I shot and if the string was long enough had to reposition.
    Here's another of John's videos demonstrating this, via Instagram.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Halfway through the hashtags I quit reading.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Should I start a new thread to discuss grip pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Should I start a new thread to discuss grip pressure?
    Good info here, I am getting something out of this one.

I'd be interested in what the guys thought about your question, I have a similar one. My support hand is pretty tired after a 20 minutes session dry firing recently, I'm squeezing it pretty hard.

Related: Still in save-up mode for a real training class, I watched this video from Bob Vogel recently, which I used as the basis for moving my support hand higher and more forward than I had been. What do ya'll think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    #bepatient #perserverance #hanginthere #learntoreadsentenceswithnospacing #hashtag
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Dammit I thought I was the only one.

User Tag List