Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glocks and JHP

CCI blazer used to ( maybe still does) sell their usual aluminum cased ammo but in a jhp version, where the hp was a speer gold dot. I used to get a case of that, run a couple hundred rounds thru a carry gun for decent confidence. Then as CH says, a mag or two of actual carry ammo, regular gold dots. It seemed a reasonable compromise.

Just curious. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Glock that would not reliably feed Gold Dots or HST's? Any JHP's you have seen a Glock not feed? Thanks.

Ive got a buddy whose early Gen3 G19 didnt like 124gr +P Gold Dots. Works with everything else didn't like the Gold Dots he tried.

My 26 Gen4 has worked with everything I've tried, except with 147gr Golden Sabres I had a failure to extract on the second round fired. Funnily enough I've also seen failures to feed in my 17 with Golden Sabres and with a Buddies G22, so I try avoid them if possible.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    Just curious. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Glock that would not reliably feed Gold Dots or HST's? Any JHP's you have seen a Glock not feed? Thanks.
    In the .40s, yes, a lot, but not due to just being JHP ammo, due to the issues inherent with the Glock .40s that JHP make worse
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Of the dozen or so Glocks I've owned and carried, all but three have been 3rd Gen guns, all but four 9mm, and most have been loaded with P9HST2, my standard carry load. Only one has not been able to make it through my regimen of 800 rds of ball and 200 rds of carry ammo without a stoppage. That was a 2d Gen G19 bought used in 2012, with a WTXXX serial number. It got new springs and needed and got the six-part upgrade. It was reliable with ball but would produce a stoppage with P9HST2 about every 60 rds. After a trip to Glock its reliability improved to one stoppage in about 115 rds of P9HST2, still not meeting my standard. I eventually sold it with full disclosure.

oldtex, what kind of stoppages were you seeing from that gun?
    www.agiletactical.com

I have two Gen 4 G19s, each using the APEX extractor + non-LCI SLB that have successfully done 500rds of FMJ chased by 100rds of P9HST3 (the "can I carry this thing?" test for me) over the course of a couple days. One of those guns also fed a box of P9HST2 (147gr) just fine, as well as two boxes each of old 124gr+P Gold Dot and 147gr Gold Dot (gold boxes). Both guns have fired at least 40 rounds of the Barnes TAC-XPD 115gr+P stuff as well. No stoppages on either gun.

As an aside, has Speer Gold Dot undergone any major changes since... 2001 or so? I've got a line on a bunch of 124gr+P GD that a guy I know has kept in an ammo can. Lot numbers say that the stuff's dated anywhere from 2001 to 2004, and it's all in the old boxes. I read about a hard primer issue from fall 2001-summer 2002, but none of the boxes I've seen fell within the lot numbers Speer recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    oldtex, what kind of stoppages were you seeing from that gun?
    Chuck, I rechecked my notes and found that my memory of the frequency of stoppages was faulty. They were all extraction failures. I had four of them in 468 rds( 1 stoppage per 117 rds) of P9HST2, spaced over numerous range trips, with a variety of mags that all proved reliable in my two 3rd Gen G19s. Put 1800 rds of ball through the gun with no stoppages at the same time. Then sent the gun off to Glock with a letter detailing the issue. After getting the gun back, I put 234 rds of P9HST2 through it and got another failure to extract at rd 221. That convinced me to sell the gun. I had put a total of about 3k rds of ball through the gun using the same 8-10 mags without a stoppage, but that didn't do me any good; I wasn't going to carry ball in the gun. Gun was lubed with FP-10 at the start of each range trip and cleaned at least every 400-600 rds, the same protocol as with my other Glocks. Never tried any other JHP ammo in the gun. I like to stock one type of carry ammo for all my 9mms and P9HST2 has never given me any issues in any other gun.

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    As an aside, has Speer Gold Dot undergone any major changes since... 2001 or so? I've got a line on a bunch of 124gr+P GD that a guy I know has kept in an ammo can. Lot numbers say that the stuff's dated anywhere from 2001 to 2004, and it's all in the old boxes. I read about a hard primer issue from fall 2001-summer 2002, but none of the boxes I've seen fell within the lot numbers Speer recalled.
    Except for 2006, my old job carried the 124gr +P Gold Dot since the '90s, no issues. Never heard about any hard primer problems, nor did we see any.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Except for 2006, my old job carried the 124gr +P Gold Dot since the '90s, no issues. Never heard about any hard primer problems, nor did we see any.
    Yeah, I recall you've spoken pretty highly of that load. I've got an opportunity to get into a bunch of it on the cheap and I'm really just trying to decide if the stuff's worth keeping around or not. It is over a decade old. The stuff I shot up all went bang, and over a chrono the 5-shot average out of a G19 was 1204FPS from a June 2001-dated sample.

User Tag List