Thread: Shooting the G19 better than the G17 (and other random thoughts)

Shooting the G19 better than the G17 (and other random thoughts)

I finally started shooting USPSA and IDPA at my local range. I've been using my well-worn, stock Gen3 G19 and have been shooting pretty well with it. I figured I'd try a Gen3 G17 so I picked one up this week.

Sheesh....felt like I had never shot before. I couldn't group well at 7, 10 and 15 yards my usual push-to-the-right (I'm a lefty) seemed exaggerated. I tried with the grip stock as well as with both Grip Adapters installed but I shot equally poor.

I'm assuming that I'm just married to the G19 platform since I have a lot of time behind one and I'll chalk today's range trip up to not being used to a different grip and trigger (dropped in a minus connector). I've owned a G17 in the past and I also have a G26 and it seems like the 19/26 grips just fit my hands better. I'm able to get a better purchase on the gun and they're less likely to move around in my hands.

Does anyone else feel that the smaller Glocks fit their hands better?

I shoot a g19 better than g17. Might be a hand fitting thing but thats where it comes in.

Though a shoot a 19L (g17 cut down grip) really well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I recently picked up a G17 (Gen4) and immediately noticed the same things you mention---worse slow-fire groups, more left pushed shots (I'm a righty)---compared to my G19 (also Gen4) that I've been running for a little while. Over the past month, having shot the 17 exclusively, the issues have begun to significantly subside, although I don't feel 100% back to where I was with the 19 in slow-fire. I agree, it sort of feels like a brand new gun to learn...which it is, but my expectation for G17/G19 similarities was different. It doesn't help that I have a different sight setup on it for now than my 19.

All that said, I think my rapid fire groups are better with the 17, and I think I like the recoil characteristics/sight-tracking a bit better. The main reason why I picked up the G17 remains untarnished: I much prefer the full hand grip it allows, particularly on the draw. The 19 leaves the bottom back portion of my palm in the air. The G17 grip definitely gives me more confidence, and I have felt an improvement in my general manipulations.

To update, a month in and my slowfire accuracy with the G17 has jumped up back to about where it was with the 19. Probably some combination of factors, it happened pretty dramatically over the past week: Got my SIRT back from warranty work, so I'm back to that every day. The 17 crossed 1500 rnds, which is when the 19 started to feel broken in, and after a drop of oil the trigger now feels equal to or better than my 19, very smooth. Over the past month it felt like crap comparatively.

tl;dr, the usual diagnosis: just shoot more

I also shoot a 19 more accurately than a 17. But I shoot a 20 with full power loads the most accurate.

I've never shot a 17 as well as a 19, and I know for a fact it's a hand size thing, for me. Truth be told, I have a FDE Gen4 17 with maybe a box through it, and have no idea why I even keep it around. I suppose it's just one of those guns an enthusiast has to have in the safe.

To my point, it's really not that uncommon for people to shoot the 19 better. It almost always directly correlates to either hand size, round count, or both.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm confident that part of the accuracy issues may be due to the different trigger setup (- connector) in the 17 and my lack of familiarity with it. I've apparently married myself to the stock Glock trigger setup and it takes me some time to acclimate to different guns and their triggers.

Beyond that though there most definitely appears to be a hand-to-gun fit issue. The 19 and 26 just seem to lock into my hands whereas I always have a feeling with the 17 that my support hand wants to slip off of the gun.

I wonder how good I can become with the 19 in IDPA and USPSA? Maybe I'll try maxing out my ability with it to see how far I can go...

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    ...I wonder how good I can become with the 19 in IDPA and USPSA? Maybe I'll try maxing out my ability with it to see how far I can go...
    If you shoot the 19 better, assuming you mean faster and more accurate, not just bullseye slow-fire indoor range stuff, then it stands to reason that you'll perform better with it in IDPA/USPSA.

FWIW, IDPA now has CCP division, and I think a 19 will fit in the box. Cap is 8 rounds per mag, but you're still able to shoot a fighting sized pistol. I'm not a USPSA guy, so maybe someone else will chime in, but historically, I think USPSA has mirrored a lot of the IDPA rules/classes.

Cheers.

If that's the gun you carry, then yes, I would maximize your ability with that gun

User Tag List