Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on Sayoc Tactical (for firearms training)

I came across this thread and thought I should reply.

I'm the Director of Sayoc Tactical Group (STG) and one of the persons mentioned on many of these post. First let me explain STG's take on firearm training. We analyze very closely the teaching methodology and relevance of the curriculum. And then the progression of the training. Making sure it pertains to the goals of the course and fits the skills of the people attending. We do not teach firearms competition training, all training must be relevant to real world situations. We primarily teach Elite Military and or Government Law Enforcement, the public classes we teach are more of an aside for us. We do not try and build up our instructors with bio's or talk about their LEO or Mil backgrounds because that is not important, the curricula and process for improving is the main goal. What is most important is, are they good teachers and is what they are teaching correct.

As for my personal background, I decided at a young age to focus on fighting and lethal skill sets and developing my knowledge in these areas for my whole life. I have done over 25 years of training in Kali, Silat, boxing, wrestling and MMA to improve my skill sets. I have been in a lot of fights of all sorts, many of these fights while working as a bouncer for much of my 20's into my 30's. If you bounce in bars with the idea of working in bars that you will get you in a lot of fights, anyone would have hundreds of fights in over ten years, not hard to do, I'm not sure why that is so surprising to people, do the math.

Even though I had been a shooter my whole life, it was not until about 15 years ago, I really started looking hard into Pistol training and studying the methodology behind current training and at that time started working with the military for the integration of combative skill sets. As most of you are aware, there will be multiple disciplines used in a very small time window, during a real life violent engagement. And yet all of these skill sets are not always trained and even when they are trained, they are not integrated in training. If we take the given that training should mirror as closely as possible, what we are training for, it is a mistake not to do so. In our 1.0 classes it in marksmanship and weapon manipulation, in 2.0 it is working from concealment and looking at other weapons integrating with the pistol, and all classes from then on are more of that progression. We have standards for each level, when you can execute the standards %100 you can move on.

From what I read on this thread, most of you seem very knowledgeable and serious, but if you still have any real doubts about training with us, you should find a different shooting class to attend.

Thomas Kier
    Director of Operation
    Sayoc Tactical Group

Specifically?

Elmore was late getting there.

We took an hour lunch for an abbreviated training day. Elmore was an additional 30min late coming back from that lunch. Elmore blamed the restaurant staff instead of taking ownership.

Elmore talked down the the facility staff as if they were lower than shit he had stepped in.

Elmore discussed how people are instantly stopped when shot once by a firearm.

Elmore discussed knife targeting. Im a paramedic and have attended several cadaver labs. An anesthesiologist buddy took the class with me. Some of the things Elmore stated did not track with human anatomy.

We ended on time.

Overall it seemed as if he just strolled in without any plan what so ever of what to teach that day.

I did not feel as if I had gotten my money's worth. But I now know how to throw chopsticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    what are some of the standards?
    I'm curious as well.

I did two AAR's of the pistol 1.0 class

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2012/07/aa...-may-2627.html

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/05/aa...#axzz2SZrPL3OW

Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    what are some of the standards?
    Student pistol standards for 1.0 class:

one shot from (concealment) draw on "A-zone" at 7 yards 1.5 seconds - could be higher though, I don't specifically remember since I never worried about it. - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/10/on...ncealment.html

Farnham drill, clean, in under 12 seconds - video of drill - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/09/fa...tol-class.html

Hostage head shot target drill, clean, in under 12 seconds - video of drill(s) - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2015/02/range-report.html

200 drill - 150 or better

700 drill - 550 or better

May be one or two more that I do not remember, but that's the gist of it. The accuracy drills are the most difficult for people, instructor standards are much difficult and have to be done on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Voodoo, can you expand on this? Thanks in advance.
    Just that it's a mindset thing. Like the thread started here on PF about a member having issues with his family members lacking mindset to carry a firearm or even own one. There is more to just "being aware" and more to the whole process of simply stating what mindset is and how to magically attain it. Tom does an excellent mindset talk and it is second to none. Not just blow smoke here, those who have taken the time to sit down with him and listen to what he has to say on the matter either get the information they are looking for verbalized or they are overwhelmed showing their weakness.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 04-25-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added links
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    ... or they are overwhelmed showing their weakness.
    Just to put this into perspective, this forum has a lot of people who have made occupations out of putting themselves in harms way or outright killing people....not bouncing bars.....so without any real further explanation that I had asked for this statement really sounds sophomoric to me....like something from the fake karate guy in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just to put this into perspective, this forum has a lot of people who have made occupations out of putting themselves in harms way or outright killing people....not bouncing bars.....so without any real further explanation that I had asked for this statement really sounds sophomoric to me....like something from the fake karate guy in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.
    Yep, I am one of those people.

The shortest one I've heard is 30 minutes.

So If you expect me to type out 30 minutes worth of info, you are going to be disappointed.

Show up to a class and see for yourself. I am just passing on first hand info.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=HopetonBrown;315597]The knife stuff reminded me of a scene from The Hunted. Looks like they did some consulting for the movie. I have a real dialed in friend who does knife stuff with them. Doesn't really look like somewhere I'd go for firearms training.

Tom was involved with the Hunted, the survival stuff came from The Tracker School and Tom Brown. There are stories there.

Cookie Monster

So,

1. Unverifiable history of amazing feats of bad ass-ery.

2. Secret fighting techniques only known to a small brotherhood who must be willing to undergo the tremendous hardship required for your approval.

3. Write about secret techniques of the system you sell trumping competition fighting skill ( you know, the kind that can be proved to work) because there is no "rule book" on Da Streetz.

3. Article on website declaring fitness is important to combat for everyone other than you because....see numbers 1 and 3.

4. Discount the need to cite verifiable military/police/fighting experience when it applies to your instructors, yet cite nebulous references to elite military/police customers for the secret system as justification for value of said system.

Seems legit......if by some remote chance this is valuable training, I can't imagine a less effective way to communicate that to interested parties. This stuff may be wonderful, but it reads like a spetznaz secret death system from a 1985 Soldier of Fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    So,

1. Unverifiable history of amazing feats of bad ass-ery.

2. Secret fighting techniques only known to a small brotherhood who must be willing to undergo the tremendous hardship required for your approval.

3. Write about secret techniques of the system you sell trumping competition fighting skill ( you know, the kind that can be proved to work) because there is no "rule book" on Da Streetz.

3. Article on website declaring fitness is important to combat for everyone other than you because....see numbers 1 and 3.

4. Discount the need to cite verifiable military/police/fighting experience when it applies to your instructors, yet cite nebulous references to elite military/police customers for the secret system as justification for value of said system.

Seems legit......if by some remote chance this is valuable training, I can't imagine a less effective way to communicate that to interested parties. This stuff may be wonderful, but it reads like a spetznaz secret death system from a 1985 Soldier of Fortune.

So I guess I'll see you at one of the classes then?
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So I guess I'll see you at one of the classes then?
    Just as soon a you present some evidence as to why this is good instruction from a legitimate instructor, I'll be the first to sign up.

How many sheaths do I need?

User Tag List