Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on Sayoc Tactical (for firearms training)

Ive done extensive training with STG.

Pistol, rifle, blade, etc. Befote Defoor got in the fold.

I will say that it is unlike any other training in that they dont teach the typical stuff. Tom has a very specific way of instructing and most pistol classes result in students Not making the standards in order to get into the 2.0 class. I think I know of 7 off the top of my head who have made it while I was present. Their instructor standard is even higher and very much harder.

Furthermore the mindset talks are the best ive ever heard. The whole class is an experience.

Thing is, its not meant for the average person in that you have to be serious about your safety and are willing to get out of your comfort zone to learn. Ive seen people quit after one day because they couldn't cut it and felt embarrassed.

If you are thinkin about taking the classes later this year ill be at a bunch of them helpin out.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Reaching back to 2003, I spent three weeks in classes with Tom Kier coming and going from them. Kali mostly, no firearms. The stuff was deep and intense. I'd revisit.

Can't comment about current stuff, no knowledge.

Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I saw a claim of 500 "sport" fights plus over 1,000 "street fights". No losses.

That would be a pretty impressive record for a number of reasons...not least of which is how you utterly destroy people on 1,000 separate occasions without ever facing criminal and civil liability for having done so.

As for firearms instruction, I have no idea who they have teaching or what their background is. I do know what, say, SouthNarc's background is. And Tom Givens. And Ernie Langdon....etc. With so many good known quantities out there teaching firearms I don't see a reason to take a risk on something I don't know.
    Don't know the guy from a hole in the wall, but if the number of fights is only 10-20% the quoted number, then it makes me think of the saying Raylan Givens made even more famous: if you run into an a$$hole in the morning....
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Don't know the guy from a hole in the wall, but if the number of fights is only 10-20% the quoted number, then it makes me think of the saying Raylan Givens made even more famous: if you run into an a$$hole in the morning....
    It's my understanding he was a bouncer for most of his "fights". Take that for whatever it's worth.

STG has been on my list for edged weapon training since training with KD opened my eyes. The only concern I would have with STG is that they've become more well known and commercialized. Sometimes this can be a problem as an organization struggles to keep up and if it grows too quickly they can lose some of what made them so highly sought. Not saying this is the case here - but as I see them get involved in other aspects of training and involved in TV shows (NCIS as an example) it's something that can happen.

To the OP, if it's the only class you can work into your schedule then I'd say do it. Every class and instructor will provide you with take aways of things you will choose to adopt and things you don't. Heck, I know folks who have spent good money on famous and highly touted instructors only to be disappointed because it wasn't what it was hyped to be. There are no guarantees. In the end you are out at a range and working with your gear/weapons. The worst class beats sitting at home doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Ive done extensive training with STG.

Pistol, rifle, blade, etc. Befote Defoor got in the fold.

I will say that it is unlike any other training in that they dont teach the typical stuff. Tom has a very specific way of instructing and most pistol classes result in students Not making the standards in order to get into the 2.0 class. I think I know of 7 off the top of my head who have made it while I was present. Their instructor standard is even higher and very much harder.
    what are some of the standards?
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 04-24-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Thing is, its not meant for the average person in that you have to be serious about your safety and are willing to get out of your comfort zone to learn. Ive seen people quit after one day because they couldn't cut it and felt embarrassed.
    Voodoo, can you expand on this? Thanks in advance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    I'll just leave this here:
    https://youtu.be/x3UfEa_QFBo
    and Tom Kier talks about his background in this vid;
    https://youtu.be/FE3B2mZXxx4
    Power assist???

I am rather underwhelmed
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

The knife stuff reminded me of a scene from The Hunted. Looks like they did some consulting for the movie. I have a real dialed in friend who does knife stuff with them. Doesn't really look like somewhere I'd go for firearms training.

From watching that video of the Warrior 2.0: Pistol class I can't understand what about the standards make it so hard to qualify for the 2.0 class. In terms to shooting skills a lot of those guys don't appear to be on the level of USPSA A class shooters. (Obviously this is just a wild ass guess) I realize that having any standards at all for an advanced class is more rigorous than the norm for most instructors, but I don't really get it.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 04-25-2015 at 01:58 AM.

User Tag List