Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moved: Obsolete weapons and ammo thread

But General Patton said it was the greatest Battle Implement EV-AHR!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

When compared to the bolt action 1903 Springfields, Mausers and Lee Enfields it was. Once the StG44 showed up, it wasn't so great. Kind of like comparing General Patton's Colt SSA revolver to the 1911 for a military pistol.

Exactly. The M1 was indeed the best rifle available until about 1943-44, then it became obsolete. Not much different than Me-262's, P80's, Mig-15's, and F-86's ending the reign of F4U's and P51's.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Exactly. The M1 was indeed the best rifle available until about 1943-44, then it became obsolete. Not much different than Me-262's, P80's, Mig-15's, and F-86's ending the reign of F4U's and P51's.
    How do you rate the AB-42 Ljungman or the MAS 49 when compared to the Garand?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I guess I have a different definition of obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsolete per Merriam-Webster
    no longer used because something newer exists : replaced by something newer

: no longer used by anyone
    The StG44 was more advanced, but the M1 Garand was in no terms obsolete. It was still in major use, and still more effective than every other standard, widespread service rifle in World War II (all bolt actions).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    How do you rate the AB-42 Ljungman or the MAS 49 when compared to the Garand?
    The MAS is more useful to me; the AG-42 has those archaic tangent sights and its own manual of arms quirks.

The Frogs and the Belgies both had rifles that were probably better general-issue rifles than the Garand on the drawing board and within a year or so of adoption when their design staffs had to skip town ahead of the invading Jerries.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I hope I don't get struck by lightning for saying that I think my FN-49 is a better rifle in most any respect than my M1.
    https://www.full30.com/video/6618755...6c50c1fe894ff8
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If I ever got around to lightening the firing pin or blunting its tip, my MAS-49/56 would probably be my favoritest rifle of that era. The Frog 7.5x54 round was ahead of its time.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post

I saw no one break the butt stock on an M16A2 on the bayonet course. Lots of lost fore-ends. Lots of blood from the charging handle. The M16 and it's variants are lousy spear handles, seemingly designed to be as user-hostile to that use as possible.

And my Battalion commander broke his elbow on the first obstacle on the Bayonet Assault Course at Ft Ord. Which went over well, actually, "Gee, those MI Geeks care enough to actually get hurt on the course..."
    Bayonet course? What Army were you in? Our bayonets were required to be never taken out of the arms rooms so they would look nice for the IG inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Bayonet course? What Army were you in? Our bayonets were required to be never taken out of the arms rooms so they would look nice for the IG inspection.
    Ft. Ord, 7th Infantry Division (Light), "Bayonet Division", 1986-1988.
    Everyone who went through the Rites of Passage ran the Bayonet Assault Course.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List