Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Class, Police Trades, and Carry Position.

I have DeFoor sights I'll give you if you promise to put the XS in the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I have DeFoor sights I'll give you if you promise to put the XS in the garbage.
    LOL

I made the noob mistake of putting XS Big Dots on my first pistol. I felt they made it very difficult for me to nail down the fundamentals.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    Thanks again to everyone for your input thusfar. Through this forum I was able to connect with another member who is also an instructor and lives relatively close by who has agreed to offer me some basic pistol training free of charge to get me started. I have since decided to utilize my training budget and take the recommendation to obtain a 9mm platform as that was really what my desire was but I couldn't get past the free 40 ammo. I was able to get a LNIB Glock 17 Gen3 from a local LEO who bought it as a blue label purchase to supplement training with his duty issue G22 only to find that he really didn't need/want it. It looks great and still has the copper grease from the factory on it. He claims that only 150 rounds have been through it. For $500 it came with XS Big Dot night sights and 200 rounds. Not bad!

Now to just get a quality holster, belt, and some more ammo and I will be ready to train. I will definitely look at the options mentioned.
    Knock those sights off and you'll have something. Big dots are, IMO, gimmicky trash. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how wrong I am, but if they are the type with the very shallow rear sight they are fantastic sights for distances you don't need sights for and terrible sights for distances you do need sights for. There are plenty of quality sights that draw the eye to the front, make it easier to shoot with both eyes open, and still allow precision at reasonable handgun distances.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how wrong I am
    Probably not going to happen on this forum.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The FBI quit carrying .357 magnum a long time ago. I can still find it at about every gun shop, I can get reloading components everywhere, etc. When was the last time they carried a .45? Right. Doesn't seem like its dried up, either.

I know the 9mm bandwagon is hot right now because the FBI has decided to go back to it. I also remember the bandwagon for the .357 Sig. I'm sure there are folks here who recall the .41 Magnum's attempts at main stream use. They'll come and go, and there'll be some new wunder cartridge in a few years. Once a caliber is as widespread as the .40 is today, it isn't going anywhere any more than .38 special/.357 magnum, 9mm, or .45 ACP are regardless of what the FBI decides to use.
    I'll keep this short.

I'm not saying .40 S&W is done, etc. but a lot of the calibers you mention while still in circulation aren't receiving the same load development attention that 9mm enjoys.

One more reason to go 9 in my opinion. The circumstances regarding available lightly used .40 trade-ins will not be here forever just like the .357 quality revolvers aren't anymore or Garands or 1911's, etc, etc.

I wanted to steer the OP in the best long term direction for platform support; basically give advice I would want to know if I was in his position.

Anyway, he's made his decision so it's a moot point now.

User Tag List