Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR spare parts kit

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    For myself, I've found that it is far more useful to ensure that I have things like the appropriate tools to fix optics, mounts, lights, etc, before I have spare parts. I always have a spare bolt/bcg as well. If this is obvious to the OP, then please disregard.
    ya brother, I got all that squared away

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ya brother, I got all that squared away
    Right on

Then disregard.

Honestly I was still in the mindset that guns rarely break and if they do I will just order the part. I saw the error of my ways when my OEM slide release broke on my glock and I didn't have the part to fix it, so it ended my range session.. pretty infuriating. Now I am pretty obsessed with knowing how my firearms work and having the knowledge/parts to fix them if they go down.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Honestly I was still in the mindset that guns rarely break and if they do I will just order the part. I saw the error of my ways when my OEM slide release broke on my glock and I didn't have the part to fix it, so it ended my range session.. pretty infuriating. Now I am pretty obsessed with knowing how my firearms work and having the knowledge/parts to fix them if they go down.
    A friend of mine once told me that the best spare parts kit was to buy a second gun that is an exact copy of the first. That way, if your gun goes down, you finish your range session and then go home and order the part for the broken gun.

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    A friend of mine once told me that the best spare parts kit was to buy a second gun that is an exact copy of the first. That way, if your gun goes down, you finish your range session and then go home and order the part for the broken gun.
    My primary AR went down at a class recently. I switched out the entire BCG, but a different problem reared up, so I switched to my backup AR and drove on. I believe in backups in depth:-)

Turns out that my bolt sheared two lugs. I've seen one lug break here or there before, but never two. Changing BCG's didn't help because one of the lugs got stuck in the lower and impeded the function of the hammer and sear. I've seen primers do that before, but never a bolt lug. Live and learn.

If you have the money....... Otherwise, a spare, complete BCG and buffer spring. Or at least a bolt and a buffer spring.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you have the money....... Otherwise, a spare, complete BCG and buffer spring. Or at least a bolt and a buffer spring.
    in a perfect world I would have two ARs and two glock 19s but alas, I have to just settle on having the parts to fix most problems. Thanks for the heads up though, that is now on my list.

User Tag List