Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CLEER EDC pocket medical kit/RATS tourniquet

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not telling anyone who is willing to carry a CATS or SOFF-T that they should switch, but knowing how to use an old school cravat is a critical skill in my mind. Not only does it allow for a smaller footprint for carry, it is also an extremely versatile EDC item. In addition, it works well on small limbs, and can be a great backup for those who carry a more substantial option.

It does take more training and practice, but not much more.
    Totally agree. It is also a technique that's applicable to various similar items many people carry everyday.

Site Supporter
    I'm not telling anyone who is willing to carry a CATS or SOFF-T that they should switch, but knowing how to use an old school cravat is a critical skill in my mind. Not only does it allow for a smaller footprint for carry, it is also an extremely versatile EDC item. In addition, it works well on small limbs, and can be a great backup for those who carry a more substantial option.

It does take more training and practice, but not much more.
    I use my bandana a lot more than my gun and knife, thank goodness.

I just got my RATS to play with, and here are some random thoughts.

A seemingly common complaint on the internet is that it is hard to use one handed. I don't see that at all, and find it very easy to use one handed. Probably the fastest one handed TQ I've ever used.

A friend on this board, who knows what he's about, calld me tonight to say that his large legs did not allow for a full three wraps like the promo video shows. He felt that with two wraps though, it was still reasonably effective and "good enough" to make it an edc TQ, that would allow him to get to more serious treatment (stateside).

My legs are not as big as his, and I can get three wraps, but it takes a lot of effort. Depending on the nature of your injury, you may not have the strength to pull it that hard, idk.

As a second TQ, where space is an issue, or as a dedicated TQ for kids and canines, it is probably a good way to go. My cravat is probably better still, but it does take more to make it work. Also, the RATS seems to be less likely to get knocked off if rough handling becomes an issue.

Anyway, I like it so far, and am going to figure out a way to have it with me. Not to replace my cravat, but as an alternative. I have CATs in all my bags/vehicles/tac gear, but for soft clothes, I have only ever used the cravat.

I have CATs in all my bags/vehicles/tac gear, but for soft clothes...

To me (and for me) the RAT fits into the J-Frame category. Put quite simply, I'm willing to stick a RAT in my back pocket every day, but anything larger than that is getting left in the car or range bag.

I just got my RATS to play with, and here are some random thoughts.

A seemingly common complaint on the internet is that it is hard to use one handed. I don't see that at all, and find it very easy to use one handed. Probably the fastest one handed TQ I've ever used.
    It easier to show that in progressive, comparative drill construction, but let me give this a try. A random googling gives me this video from Jordan Winkler on the RATS. I don't know him or anything about him, it's just a good video for my point.

Jordan sets the RATS up per manufacturer guidelines, then applies it to his upper arm. As he applies tension, he bends and draws the wounded arm inward and windmills each around the other. Application is easy like that, and impressive to others watching. He almost certainly achieved solid occlusion. The trouble is that method isn't really a one-handed application, more like 1.5-handed. The method works if muscles and range of motion are sufficiently intact. There are more quirks and work required when the arm is missing, inop, or entrapped. Lay on your arm and put it to sleep, have a partner restrain it, or put your hand in your pocket. Repeat the drill. After you insert the running end through the loop, pull and extend it, then start the wrap over or under the arm. In order to keep that extension you'll have to pin/trap it against the torso or object on each trip around the limb. If it slips, the whole wrap can lose compression. The same issues are true of the leg, but mitigated somewhat by the fact that leg applications are usually done on the ground where body weight and tissue more easily pin the wrap and free end as it's passed around limb.

This applies to the SWAT too, but differently, The rubberized surface is slip-resistant so once a wrap is applied and covered its less likely to lose tension. Same for Esmark, Thera-band, a TK variant or two, and some ace rolls with high rubber content.

None of the above is insurmountable and can't be trained through. It’s probably also fair to say that at some point, we’re a little farther out on the bell curve of incidents or down in the weeds. But for users that will buy or be given gear with little to no training, they’ll be left to deal with these on the fly and other options may be better choices.

A friend on this board, who knows what he's about, calld me tonight to say that his large legs did not allow for a full three wraps like the promo video shows. He felt that with two wraps though, it was still reasonably effective and "good enough" to make it an edc TQ, that would allow him to get to more serious treatment (stateside).

My legs are not as big as his, and I can get three wraps, but it takes a lot of effort. Depending on the nature of your injury, you may not have the strength to pull it that hard, idk.
    Good example of compounding variables…my input above, fewer wraps for larger legs, extra effort, etc.
    Anyway, I like it so far, and am going to figure out a way to have it with me. Not to replace my cravat, but as an alternative. I have CATs in all my bags/vehicles/tac gear, but for soft clothes, I have only ever used the cravat.
    I’m interested in hearing more about how you use your cravat.
    Last edited by ST911; 02-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I’m interested in hearing more about how you use your cravat.
    Not to speak for SLG, but here is a video from the late Paul Gomez:

"It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Even more second hand info: Caleb Causey (Lone Star Medics) is another guy that strongly prefers the CATS or SWAT-T wide over the RATS. It's been a while since I took his class, but IIRC, RATS fits in the "better than nothing" category. On the other hand, I think he did prefer it for canine application.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Not to speak for SLG, but here is a video from the late Paul Gomez:

If anyone knows where to get the tee-shirt Paul is wearing let me know. Years back I missed one of his classes. I really wish I had gone. All of his videos and writings I really respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    If anyone knows where to get the tee-shirt Paul is wearing let me know. Years back I missed one of his classes. I really wish I had gone. All of his videos and writings I really respect.
    Not the same but close...
    http://www.storenvy.com/products/519...l-MaArcy8P8HAQ

https://milleniumtees.com/products/g...urce=googlepla
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Does anyone feel like the RATS is actually easier to EDC? Is it just that it isn't as rigid as the SOF/CAT? FWIW, I started carrying a simple bandana many years ago at the suggestion of the Hill brothers and is very, very handy. It is also nice that I can bum around Cabo or Cancun with a solution and not be noticeable.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List