Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLEER EDC pocket medical kit/RATS tourniquet

CLEER EDC pocket medical kit/RATS tourniquet

From Todd's post here.

I'd personally like to see some testing/occlusion rates on that tourniquet before trusting it. It doesn't appear very effective. The evidence based trend is to use a wider compression surface (see the SOFT Wide vs regular SOFT, as one example), whereas this is very narrow and even in a video the inventor admits it must be wrapped properly to form an overlapping, wider band to achieve adequate occlusion.....the whole idea kinda going against his misuse of the terms fine motor skills, to begin with. Even if you're with it and calm, I can't imagine this being a very easy thing to accomplish in a quick amount of time. I imagine with movement and what not, there is great potential to displace the wrapped band as well, causing it to lose compression area.

I'm not impressed, and I'd much rather opt for the rubber therapy band-like SWAT-T for a pocket kit. Do any of the SMEs or medical guys on this forum have experience with this RATS tourniquet?
    Last edited by TGS; 04-22-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It came up on TPI a while back -- concerns similar to yours were voiced and a couple guys who'd gotten their hands on them were not impressed. Someone was going to follow up with the guys behind it to discuss, not sure if anything came of that, I've been slacking on my lurking.

I saw that article, and it sparked my interest in putting together an EDC kit.

I too wanted the SWAT-T for EDC, based on simplicity of use, size, and versatility of use. I have a few SOFT-T's around, and in my IFAK, and while they're easier to administer to yourself, they're more complicated to those that have never seen one.

I poked around on this subject last month, finally going with the ITS EDC Trauma Kit. It was a coin toss between that and one of the Dark Angel offerings, but again, I wanted the SWAT-T. First impressions is that the ITS kit is well made and compact enough to pocket carry. The small pocket slip it comes with is a nice, and would give a measure of protection, but definitely not something I would want to fight with one-handed and bleeding out. That said, I don't use the included slip at all, but I bought their EDC slimline pouch (uses velcro for closure) and while a little thicker, it's not too bulky for use in the pocket. Since I'm moving away from battle belts, the kit works well on my belt during match/training evolutions. That's about all I got since it's only been carried for a few weeks.

I'm not a fan of the RATS tourniquet. There are other choices out there are easier to use, and less error prone. Which to me are two pretty important qualifications for situations that involve TQ use.

I carried the SWAT-T, standard CAT (no color codes) and my issued SOF-T. I have used all three on numerous occasions for gunshot and stab victims.

I stopped using the SWAT-T because after trying to apply it several times to persons who have been hit in an artery it became loose very soon after application. I am talking the 3-5 minutes it takes me to transport someone to a L1TC.

I still carry multiples of the standard CAT because as long as I am not applying it to myself, it is fairly straightforward and easy to apply. It is also only a few bucks most places and I am willing to throw that cash at people to save lives.

I carry a SOF-T at work on my vest at all times. It works really well for self-application because of the metal ring that allows you to unsnap the strap.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The SOF-T and CAT have been discussed many times.

I think the focus here is a pocket medical kit, so the SOF-T and CAT aren't really applicable.

Thanks for input on the SWAT-T though, that's good stuff to know since I've never seen it proven in testing or use by any reputable organization. For a pocket medical kit I'm not sure if there's anything better though...I'd rather reapply every 5 minutes than not have any tourniquet at all. The next choice would be a TK4, but that's a bit bulky for anything but a cargo pocket.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-25-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Size difference between a swat t and cat or sof t arent that major that would make me want to carry the swat t over the others.Just personal opinion.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Size difference between a swat t and cat or sof t arent that major that would make me want to carry the swat t over the others.Just personal opinion.
    Can you carry such in a pocket kit meant for jeans or suit pants?

If you can, I want your secret. I've already got a few SOF-Ts and SOF-TWs. I can't seem to think they'd work very well for such.

I prefer the SOFTT-w, followed by the CAT. I use the SWAT-T, RATS, TKs only as contingency supplies. When thinking about on-body EDC med supplies I prioritize the TQ and can do without the other stuff. If I need a TQ, I need it immediately available and effective. Expedient pressure dressings and wound pack is already worn, or readily available around.

In my suit/sport coat, a flat folded SOFTT-W or CAT works well in a breast pocket.

All this is much like the other life support gear: 1) What point(s) on the bell curve are you preparing for, and 2) how much performance are you willing to compromise for convenience?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Can you carry such in a pocket kit meant for jeans or suit pants?

If you can, I want your secret. I've already got a few SOF-Ts and SOF-TWs. I can't seem to think they'd work very well for such.
    More with a flat-folded SOFT or SOFTW, given the sturdier construction vice the CAT; but how do you feel about carrying them AIWB with the windlass running between pants and belt?

User Tag List