Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: " Cultivate a Warrior Mindset "

I once worked for a Captain who didn't carry off duty, because he "didn't want to put his family in danger". Just because someone is a cop, a military service member, an athlete (how people automatically equate being a jock with having a warrior mindset has always boggled me) or whatever, doesn't make them a warrior. Some of the truest warriors I've ever known were none of those things. Some of the biggest pussies I've known were all of those things. The fact is that some are warriors and some aren't, there's no way to change it. Also, just because someone doesn't fit into our personal view of what an individual should be it doesn't mean they have nothing to contribute. In a noble society it is the responsibility of the strong to protect the weak.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I can only cut able bodied males so much slack in this area.

Here is one of finest essays I've ever seen on the topic. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/0...f-masculinity/
    Outstanding.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I can only cut able bodied males so much slack in this area.

Here is one of finest essays I've ever seen on the topic. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/0...f-masculinity/
    That is a good essay.

Thank you everyone for your insightful comments. Are those who display a warrior mindset born rather than strictly trained to be that way ?
    The first man I mentioned in the original post is a 'good guy'. Almost generous to a fault. Easy going and good company. In many ways very likeable. - I also know a gal who isn't even 5 foot tall, around 100 lbs or so. She's an ER nurse. Cool headed and decisive type. Also has a sense of humor when things go tits up or something unexpected hits - Ive observed this in her. Regardless of her small stature, that woman definitely has the right mindset.

@JHC - thanks for posting that great essay link

80/20 rule, mostly innate. But harsh experience can probably convert many.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I once worked for a Captain who didn't carry off duty, because he "didn't want to put his family in danger".
    No matter how hard I try, this line of reasoning makes no sense to me.

I don't know the OP's friends but just in general, I wouldn't be too quick to write someone off as being a wuss just because he doesn't want to read an article that might have details he doesn't want painted in his head. I don't like reading those articles because I prefer not to have certain images in my brain, either. The thing is, I don't have to have gory images in my head to know that they can happen. I can still pay attention to what's happening around me and have an awareness that evil exists and could pop up in my reach. I can also be reasonably prepared to deal with it without reading articles that might have gory details about people who weren't ready.

In my neck of the woods, some nasty stuff happened to a couple who was abducted several years ago and frankly, I wish I'd never read so much about it. It was enough to be reminded that things can happen without all the details about exactly what happened.

Hasn't the USMC done quite a bit of work in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I once worked for a Captain who didn't carry off duty, because he "didn't want to put his family in danger". Just because someone is a cop, a military service member, an athlete (how people automatically equate being a jock with having a warrior mindset has always boggled me) or whatever, doesn't make them a warrior. Some of the truest warriors I've ever known were none of those things. Some of the biggest pussies I've known were all of those things. The fact is that some are warriors and some aren't, there's no way to change it. Also, just because someone doesn't fit into our personal view of what an individual should be it doesn't mean they have nothing to contribute. In a noble society it is the responsibility of the strong to protect the weak.
    Can't be said better!

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    No matter how hard I try, this line of reasoning makes no sense to me.

You would be SHOCKED at the percentage of cops who don't carry off-duty for a variety of bullshit reasons.

User Tag List