Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Switch to a diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Price here is about $6 per gallon. So about 1500 miles a gallon. Not too bad cost wise. How much do you save by the pallet?
    Works out to 3.20 per gallon so almost half.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I am all city driving (worst traffic in the US) and I am getting 19 miles per gallon on an average with this truck, compared to about 12 with my 1500 5.7 gas, but diesel here did not drop like gas prices did. Would like to see what it does with highway miles, but that ain't happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Works out to 3.20 per gallon so almost half.
    Nice sized savings and makes great sense for a fleet of that size and a business standpoint no doubt. Does it still come in the 2.5 gal boxes or do you get it in barrels? For a one truck owner $6 every 1500 miles or so isn't bad, plus it is not my daily driver. But for a fleet that is a good price difference. It would just take me forever to burn a pallet of it depending on how many per pallet. Now a 55 gal drum wouldn't be bad, less space, if pricing was correct. I know you guys add your own, but I was just curious if you are seeing DEF tanks at gas stations? Haven't seen that here yet.

We get cases of two, 2.5 gallon jugs with forty cases on a pallet. I saw the drums but its more practical for our guys to use the jugs as they have a pour spout and are small enough to store in a truck's chain box.

I did not realize that most trucks use so little so it's almost a non-issue outside of commercial vehicles.

My buddy's '06 Cummins just shit the bed and he's looking at $8K to replace the Injectors, High Pressure Pump, Common Rail and everything else related to fuel delivery after the fuel filter. Water managed to get into the fuel delivery system and screw the works. I wouldn't go for a diesel these days even if you gave it to me. When you have to run a 2 micron fuel filter (and many recommend a 2 filter system) to keep from killing injectors, it isn't for me. Based on a lot of forum reading...he is not alone.

I asked out head mechanic about how the Dodges were doing and was told that the problems they are running into are computer related and have been fixed with updates by the dealer. However, the next truck the company is going to try will be gas because Dodge will no longer have the Cummins engine as their contract is expiring and Ford blocked a renewal (can't find anything to back the this up). Quick google many articles including this one on Motortrend: Chrysler Ends Contract With Cummins For Diesel Ram
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 04-30-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I asked out head mechanic about how the Dodges were doing and was told that the problems they are running into are computer related and have been fixed with updates by the dealer. However, the next truck the company is going to try will be gas because Dodge will no longer have the Cummins engine as their contract is expiring and Ford blocked a renewal. Quick google many articles including this one on Motortrend: Chrysler Ends Contract With Cummins For Diesel Ram
    I think there is a lot of misinformation in your post.

First of all, the article that you cited is from 2009 and is in regards to the Cummins development of an engine for the 1500 series Dodge pickups, not the 2500 or 3500. The diesel in the 2014 and newer 1500 Ecodiesel pickups is built by VM Motori, a Fiat owned company which is not surprising since they own Dodge/Chrysler.

Second, how would Ford block a renewal of a Cummins contract to Fiat/Dodge/Chrysler?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Ford owns a majority of Cummins IIRC.

You are correct about the 1500 diesel, as for the contract with Dodge and Cummins it has been said for about 10 years or more that was going to happen. IMO it is BS because Ford developed their own diesel in-house *Scorpion* and I don't think they will dump that project after the millions they put in it. But then again it is like kids arguing over a popsicle.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Ford owns a majority of Cummins IIRC.

So are you perpetuating a rumor or do you have proof of that statement?

Not trying to be a dick but we have enough misinformation being spread all over the interwebs.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Besides working at a dodge dealer for 10 years and still with the same company that owns the franchise rights, no not on paper or linked article.

So yes, I am fueling the rumor mill with unproven information. It's just hard not to believe when in contact with Cummins warranty reps on property talk about the Ford ownership and the "contract wars".

I said it and I'll own it.

BTW your not being a dick and I didn't take it that way.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I think there is a lot of misinformation in your post.

First of all, the article that you cited is from 2009
    I thought I had current article. Mea Culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Second, how would Ford block a renewal of a Cummins contract to Fiat/Dodge/Chrysler?
    Ford owns an interest in Cummins, which IIRC is around nineteen percent. Not a majority, but significant. Ford and Navistar also do significant business with Cummins as well as other diesel manufacturers in their medium and heavy offerings.

User Tag List